PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Veterans ALERT!!

tony barnhill
02-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Every year since I moved to Alabama (1993), I've registered all my cars & gotten license plates for them....Alabama does give Purple Heart recipients 1 free license plate (well, it costs $2.47 to process) but my "Retired Army", "Vietnam Veteran", "Desert Storm Veteran", and "Vintage" plates are all considered as normal plates; my "AUTOIST" plate is a vanity plate & costs extra.

Today, when I went in, I had all my registration cards in order with my trailer first, my "AUTOIST" plate second & my Purple Heart plate 3rd with all the other cars in order behind them.

The girl got to my Purple Heart plate & asked me if the VA considered me 51% or more disabled...when I told her I was well over 51%, she told me I was eligible for "Disabled Veteran" license plates as soon as I showed her my rating in writing from the VA.

Well, I went home & got my VA rating letter out of my safe & returned to show it to her....that knocked my registration costs down to $9.01 per plate (that took Jerri's C280 from $149.00 to $9.01 and my 380SL from $84.00 to $9.01!) with no restriction on the number of plates I can get....knock me down with a feather!!

When I asked why nobody ever told me, the girl said she was new and just asked as a courtesy....when I asked her boss, he said each person was responsible for choosing their plate & knowing for what they were entitled!!

I'm writing this because for all these years nobody ever told me anything about it. And I know there are others of you who may qualify in your state - but like me, I'll bet nobody ever told you about that benefit!

So, from now on, when you see me in an MGB or Midget & it has a Disabled Veterans plate you know why.

DrEntropy
02-21-2008, 05:00 PM
G. Washington comes thru again!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Steve
02-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I can't get my head around the "It's up to you to find out, we don't tell you" mentality!

Good for you, Tony!

DrEntropy
02-21-2008, 05:53 PM
How 'bout: "We're th' gummint, we ain't gotta tell ya nuthin'!"

tony barnhill
02-21-2008, 06:01 PM
I can't get my head around the "It's up to you to find out, we don't tell you" mentality!

Good for you, Tony!
Steve...I'm finding that's the case whenever I deal with the "gummint" as Doc says....

Basil
02-21-2008, 09:17 PM
The reason I don't have vets' plates on my cars is that here in the Banana Republic of New Mexico DMV actually charges vets EXTRA to get vet plates. (Not sure about disabled, but seems to me serving your country for 20-30 years ought to warrant a break, not an increase!)

Basil

DrEntropy
02-21-2008, 09:24 PM
I just have a little "POW-MIA" sticker on th' bumper.

...and appreciate those who recognize it. 'nuf fer me. I was a "first termer". No big woof.

ObiRichKanobi
02-22-2008, 07:09 AM

Good for you, Tony!

I'm not exactly an "activist" in the veteran or disabled veteran arena, but unfortunately that's often the case. Having a 40% rating myself, I have learned a few things:

1. Eligible for a free for life Golden Age Passport for entry to National Parks and Monuments.

2. Lots of state benefits:
Free entry to State Parks
Property tax abatement on my house (saves about $900 a year).

Most states have a department or division of veterans affairs. They have a treasure trove of info on both state and federal veteran's benefits. If they have a website, do some research on your own; if not, write them and ask. You might be pleasantly surprised.

vagt6
02-22-2008, 08:10 AM
My Dad has the WWII plates on his car (in VA); a DAV decal; a VFW sticker (he was past President of his local chapter); and a POW/MIA decal.

It's getter hard to see his bumper nowadays! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

tony barnhill
02-22-2008, 08:57 AM

Good for you, Tony!

I'm not exactly an "activist" in the veteran or disabled veteran arena, but unfortunately that's often the case. Having a 40% rating myself, I have learned a few things:

1. Eligible for a free for life Golden Age Passport for entry to National Parks and Monuments.

Most states have a department or division of veterans affairs. They have a treasure trove of info on both state and federal veteran's benefits. If they have a website, do some research on your own; if not, write them and ask. You might be pleasantly surprised.
See, this is the only way to learn....now, tell me how you went about getting that Golden Age Passport....the state benefits I'm slowly figuring out as each state is different.

ObiRichKanobi
02-22-2008, 03:00 PM

Good for you, Tony!

See, this is the only way to learn....now, tell me how you went about getting that Golden Age Passport....the state benefits I'm slowly figuring out as each state is different.

All I had to do was take that form the VA sends you each year that lists your disablilty rating and go to the nearest USFS or USPS (that's US Parks, not Post) office. Just showed it to them along with a photo ID, and they did the rest.

I've been actively emailing my state legislators. There's a bill before them this year to exempt the first $10,000 of military retired pay from Utah state tax. Would put between $600-$700 back in my pocket. Made it through the House, now at the Senate, but less than 2 weeks to go in the session. Sure hope it passes!

tony barnhill
02-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Alabama doesn't tax military retired pay at all...

After your post, I called & learned that 80% VA disability rating in my county gets property taxes wiped out (or SSN disability "not able to work" certification).

Maybe we need a BCF Veterans Hotline so we can all share learned knowledge!!