PDA

View Full Version : Paperless magazines, anyone?

DrEntropy
02-21-2008, 11:12 AM
THIS is SLICK!

https://www.zinio.com/

Opens up some great possibilities. R&T, NatGeo, etc.

Not endorsing, just found it and think the idea has merit.

"Web 2.0" is coming of age.

rick_ingram
02-21-2008, 11:15 AM
No thanks....too hard to read in the, er, "library".

Well...unless a "swing-away" desk for the laptop is designed.

But then....the Spousal Unit would probably nix this one.

DrEntropy
02-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Horsemits has a design for a fold down toilet attachment: "The CrapTop" computer accouterment! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Like a folding school desk top, but it also swings up and outta the way. Think hide-away ironing board meets high school desk...

tony barnhill
02-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Nope - no paper, no read!

GregW
02-21-2008, 12:37 PM
I recently saw an online catalog where you used the mouse to turn to pages like a real book. Can't find it in my favs, but that was cool too. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/computer.gif

ecurie_ecosse
02-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Nope - no paper, no read!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif
I tried it,but gave up.Just takes too long to read on the screen. And I spend long enough on here as it is. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Stuart. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

tony barnhill
02-21-2008, 12:38 PM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif Yep, don't mind reading short articles but not an entire magazine....plus, I like to keep some of them around for handy reference in the garage.

NutmegCT
02-21-2008, 01:14 PM
same here - paper for me.

I just tried a sample of zinio's Business Week. Browsing online, took nearly a minute to load each page. Would drive me nuts.

Magazine arrives in the mailbox, I bring it in when I get home. Now I can flip through it, carry it around, take it to the shed or even to the doctor's office where I'm very *patient* ....

And if it gets lost or damaged, I'm only out $1.75.

Can't say that for the online/laptop version.

Edit: come to think of it, wasn't there a recent publication of an e-book "digital format only" that was hyped all over? There must be some reason this was news; no one I know wants to replace paper books. But maybe young folks - who I'm guessing don't really read much printed material anymore - would find to be a "rush" for quick info-tainment fixes.

Edit-Edit: altho' the zinio flash loaded faster on the second attempt, I had to keep enlarging the page to actually read it. On a 12" laptop I need better glasses! I'd much prefer just visiting the Business Week website, where the pages are actually designed for online use.

T.

jessebogan
02-21-2008, 01:20 PM
I just pulled out a handfull of 2001 to 2004 "Classic and Sportscar" mags for a refresher. Just not the same online. Might be good for things I don't read as often.

Camshaft
02-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I prefer print resources as well, I spend too much staring at a computer screen as it is. It's always nice to sit in a comfortable chair and feel real, heavy, glossy paper stock between me fingers, especially when there's Rolex and Lotus ads inside. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DrEntropy
02-21-2008, 01:41 PM
I just tried a sample of zinio's Business Week. Browsing online, took nearly a minute to load each page. Would drive me nuts.

With the Zinio deal you have the "magazine" downloaded onto your machine. It's a LOT faster that way.

NutmegCT
02-21-2008, 06:50 PM
have the "magazine" downloaded

Dr - thanks. I missed that.

T.

anthony7777
02-22-2008, 07:47 PM
doc, think about it, if no paper when she goes to "wipe" will she lose all the data? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif