PDA

View Full Version : Window Soft Top Fitting

jjbunn
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Here's a problem that probably requires no explanation:

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2280774698_93e17c9e00.jpg

The fit of the door window glass to the windscreen/A pillar is good, but I have this gap at the back, where the window is supposed to meet the side rails of the soft top. The window is fully wound up.

What can I do about this, if anything?!

(I realise that the vertical edge of the soft top is supposed to be *inside* the window when the door is closed: I have it like it is temporarily.)

Any advice most welcome.

DougF
02-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Did you have the glass out of the door? It doesn't look like it is as high as it should be. I know there is some adjustment in the mechanism, but it's been long enough that I don't remember how much.
Are the sides (gutters) of your top pulled down as far as they will go onto the velcro strips. If so, put it out in the sun and stretch it.

Brosky
02-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Julian,

The first thing that you have to do is to make sure that your door's are aligned as squarely as possible to the body itself.

Then you must make sure that the door glass front edge aligns with the windshield pillar and does not hit or bind going up. You had the frame off of the car and it may not allow the same alignment as before with the new seal under it.

Then you have to methodically loosen the tracks and channels slightly and gradually adjust the glass to go up all of the way, making sure that it doesn't hit on the inside edge of the door frame.

It's tedious, but you can do it.

jjbunn
02-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks Doug and Paul.

The window is up as far as it will go. I haven't had the frame off the car. I did have the window and mechanism out of the driver's door, and replaced it, and that side fits quite nicely. On the passenger side, where the problem is, the window glass is very nicely aligned to the A post windscreen pillar.

I do need to replace the inner and outer seals on this door, so maybe while doing that I will be able to fiddle around and make it come up more at the back (although the geometry of the situation makes me think that then the front of the window wont line up nicely to the windscreen frame!)

DNK
02-20-2008, 11:11 PM
What's the height from back of door to top of glass?

TR674
02-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Julian
can you include a pic of the window with the windscreen pillar showing (a little more to the right)?
Regards
Craig

jjbunn
02-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi Craig,

Like this?

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/2280488275_0586ac5795.jpg

Large version here: https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/2280488275_2c1d529118_o.jpg

DNK
02-21-2008, 12:28 AM
I don't remember exactly but isn't the window suppose to be somewhat level across the top when it is up. Yours looks too low in the back. I think it needs more tweaking.

TR674
02-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Julian
that's going to be a tricky one. I think you need to move the glass back and up. As Paul mentioned, watch you don't bind the glass up against the back of the windscreen pillar.
Good luck
Craig

cmacmillan
02-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Sadly, if it were me, I'd do one of 2 things: 1) Roll the window down, 2) Put the top down (note: a combination of steps 1 and 2 would give me the desired result!)

Rickc
02-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Julian
You have said you re and red the drive side at it fits well. Since you have the door panels of, you can roll both windows up say half way and then take a tape measure and compare bottom heights (front and back) with L side and R side. Do they equal each other? Put a level on L and R side glass...are they the same? Also put a level on the soft top fame as close to the outside edge( right above each window/ glass not touching frame) as possible. Are they both the same?

OK, so now is where I have a problem....it is called CRS.
I do not recall but I think there are adjustment points in multiple locations.
Depending on what you discover in your level comparisons some adjustment is in order. I think that the bracket assembly that attaches the top frame to the B post is bolted to an adjustable (up/down...left/right) plate. Someone who is in the middle of a body off can answer if this is true or not. Also I think the window regulator assembly is also bolted to adjustable plates. Also the glass door stop is bolted to adjustable plate. I do not think the front and back glass channels are adjustable. Finally, for sure, the windscreen frame is mounted to adjustable plates.
All these adjustment plates where necessary because of poor factory fit shall we say.
Good luck
Oh ya, you are aware there is an easy way to install the clips securing the door waist seals?
RickC '71

jjbunn
02-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I will make some measurements from side to side and see if they are illuminating. If it's simply a matter of lowering the top frame fixing plate on the B post, I will be delighted: great suggestion!

reinaldo
11-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Looks like I had the same problem with a brand new soft that I bought from Moss UK for my TR4A 1966. The remedy was to do a complicated new sewing adding some more material. When Moss was contacted they said it should fit perfectly. Not their problem.....
Reinaldo