PDA

View Full Version : ...ratzenfratzen thingus...

DrEntropy
02-20-2008, 07:45 AM
APC UPS. bah. Over the last few weeks I would come out to the garage, wiggle the mouse on the GPU and be greeted with a rebooted machine waiting for a command prompt login.

"Hmm... odd." Kinda thought it may be the power supply in the box as the machine is four or five years old. Minutes ago as I'm readin' "The Pub" posts the UPS has a hissy-fit. The high pitched whistle in it gave a couple squeals and all went blank, then a reboot. GAH! Glad it's not the machine, but now I gotta find another UPS.

I HATE that high pitch noisemaker. ouch.

anthony7777
02-20-2008, 07:53 AM
doc, sounds like ya also gunna need a five foot length of stick to press the on button and a new set ah sneeks ta get the heck out of the room guick like. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Mickey Richaud
02-20-2008, 07:53 AM
GAH! Glad it's not the machine, but now I gotta find another UPS.

Why not try FEDEX? DHL? USPS?

DrEntropy
02-20-2008, 08:32 AM
umm...

...sure.

thanks.

[censored]

GregW
02-20-2008, 10:34 AM
With what those things weigh, shipping could exceed the price of the UPS. I've had them save my 'puter though bless 'em. Much less heartache letting the smoke outa one of them.

aerog
02-20-2008, 11:01 AM
APC UPS. bah.

I need a new battery for my 1100 - I guess. Every couple of weeks it'll kick into charge (or battery check, or whatever the heck it does) and it'll scream at smoke-detector levels for a minute.

1965_MGB
02-20-2008, 07:53 PM
The batteries only last three or four years. I know at work we had a schedule for replacement. I don't mind the small ones, but we had a 2200 with auxiliary pack that took two of us to get out of the rack to replace a couple hundred pounds of batteries.

New units are pretty cheap as well, if you are looking for something in the 500 range.

I got one for my new HDTV at Office Depot for $60 or so.

GregW
02-20-2008, 08:53 PM
I got one for my new HDTV at Office Depot for $60 or so.
Just in case you have to watch TV when the power goes out?

DrEntropy
02-21-2008, 08:53 AM
I have 'em lyin' around here in piles. The batteries are easily replaceable, but the cost on 'em has recently about doubled. Almost cheaper to get a new unit now.

It's that high freq ~squeal~ I object to most. Makes my teeth hurt. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

DrEntropy
02-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Had it happen again, 6:30AM, procrastination induced. Now there's another UPS in place, the offending unit is on th' curb. Found a good "spare" as well. "Minuteman, Pro 420" with a recently replaced battery. It'll be put into service as the primary one on this server as soon as I know it has a full charge on the battery.

YAY! No more "SCREEECHHH!!!" -- black screen and reboot when I'm concentratin' on Cliff's photo posts! :laugh: