PDA

View Full Version : turn indicator help

ichthos
02-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Hello,
My turn indicators have me stumped. They start by blinking at what I would call a normal speed. Then it starts to slow and finally stop. It doesn't matter if it is the right or left blinker - it does the same on either one. Any suggestions? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

DNK
02-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Sounds like the relay is bunk. As it heats up it's going fubar.
My thoughts

Banjo
02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Yup, Like DNK says, change out the flasher unit. (looks like a silver 35mm film canister with wires coming out of the cap)

philman
02-19-2008, 10:52 PM
My daughter's car (she lives in wenatchee) has turn signal problems when it gets cold. after the weather warms up its fine. i'm sure it's the flasher relay.

ichthos
02-19-2008, 11:42 PM
I tested the turn indicators with used spare with the same results. It must be bad too. I'll be picking up one this week. Thanks
Kevin

TR3driver
02-20-2008, 12:45 AM
I'll disagree ... after two flashers don't work in the same unusual way, IMO it's time to start looking elsewhere. Standard flashers are supposed to be current-sensitive (so you can tell when a bulb is burned out) ... I'd be looking for the bad connection that is getting hot (meaning an even higher resistance) after some time.

Install a jumper in place of the flasher unit, and check voltages right at the bulbs (with the bulbs connected and lit).

Tinster
02-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Kevin,

I had a similar problem when I install a total car new wire
harness on my TR6.

I finally solved my light bulb problems by soldering an
individual ground wire to every light bulb holder. I ran
all these ground wires into grounding blocks. I then ran
a larger ground wire from every grounding block to my engine block.

All my light bulbs now function.

So maybe you have a grounding issue?

regards,

d

NutmegCT
02-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Just a quick thought - When my own flashers did what yours are doing, I tried three new flasher units, with the same bad result.

Ichthos, I don't know which TR you have. On my TR3 there are appropriate, and inappropriate, flasher units. The ones sold at AdvanceAuto and AutoZone didn't work. Another member here sent me the correct replacement. Works perfectly.

Long live the BCF!

Tom

conan69
02-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Had Jag MK9 that didn't like the flavor of the 1156 bulbs that was installed. That was fun!

TR3driver
02-20-2008, 05:58 PM
The ones sold at AdvanceAuto and AutoZone didn't work.The thermal ones don't, but the Tridon EL13 does.

However I got disgusted when my EL13 broke (clip was too tight and the plastic housing broke) so I rewired the dash warning light to work with the cheap thermal flashers. All it took was moving the ground wire for the warning light from ground to a source of switched 12v (think I used the terminal on the fuel gauge).

Then if you want, you could even punt the 3-terminal flasher and convert to a 2-terminal, by connecting the L/G and GN wires together at the flasher.

02-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Also, check your flasher switch. Mine had slowly shorted out and I would get intermittent good-flash/slow-flash/no-flash. When I replaced the switch on the steering column, everything works fine now.