PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Smoking TR3

Twosheds
02-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Gang, my TR3 is emitting large amounts of smoke out the exhaust (see attached photo). Is this normal or cause for alarm? The smoke has a wonderful aroma of roasting walnuts.

How can I cure this problem? The Patch?

DougF
02-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Did your car come equipped with an escape the inlaws fogging package?

Tinkerman
02-19-2008, 05:53 PM
John, white smoke like that is usually indicative of a coolant problem, a serious problem but much less so than blue or black smoke. Back in my younger days it usually meant a blown head gasket. A compression check should tell you whats up. Also look for coolant on the dipstick.

Good luck, Tinkerman

NutmegCT
02-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm assuming this is after the engine is all toasty warmed up? Running nice and smooth - just a tad foggy out the back?

Roasted walnuts - sounds like coolant to me. What's the coolant look like? What's the oil look like? If the oil looks "milky" - yep, that's the coolant going where it's not supposed to go.

Tom

PeterK
02-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Looks like head gasket leak letting water into the combustion chamber. Not good. Try retorquing the head and look for coolant in the oil. Change the oil if it is fouled with coolant.

TR3driver
02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
My sympathies, John. The good news is that now you can practice doing the cylinder head R&R dance.

If the gasket isn't clearly toast, check the cylinder head & cylinder walls/liners. But that would be a big crack, so easily visible.

Geo Hahn
02-19-2008, 07:07 PM
...Is this normal...

Oh sure. I actually studied the photo awhile to try to see how you photoshopped it -- but finally was convinced this is for real. Don't think I have ever seen one produce that much white stuff at idle.

My guess on what you'll find: A nasty moosh in the thin strip of head gasket between the coolant jacket and either cylinder #2 or #3.

rlandrum
02-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Water in the tank maybe? Or perhaps in the oil... Did it start immediately, or only after the car warmed up?

But with that amount of smoke, I'd say head gasket.

Twosheds
02-19-2008, 07:39 PM
All of ya are wrong! It was due to the walnuts in the exhaust catching fire.

Deposited there by mice or some other rodents.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

John_Mc
02-19-2008, 08:23 PM
All of ya are wrong! It was due to the walnuts in the exhaust catching fire.

Deposited there by mice or some other rodents.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Are you serious? It was really walnuts?? Well, you just need to say (in a deep manly voice, of course) "Look man, I ain't fallin' fo' no walnuts in my tail pipe!!"

Tail pipe (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqzNFnEjr_c)

Brosky
02-19-2008, 08:44 PM
At least they could have done chestnuts!

"Chestnuts roasting on a Twoshed's fire....."

TR3driver
02-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Ah, you got me ! I wondered about you asking such an apparently basic question ... but failed to act on my suspicion.

I am surprised the exhaust didn't blow the nuts out, though.

Twosheds
02-19-2008, 10:12 PM
I am surprised the exhaust didn't blow the nuts out, though.

It did when I blipped the throttle! Dozens of smouldering nuts flew out. I'm lucky they didn't hit my old SAAB, just barely visible in the photo.

The smoke obscures several walnut trees across the road. You were right to be suspicious of me, a known Smart-Aleck.

Thanks for being a Good Sport when your leg is being pulled.

Opa
02-19-2008, 10:18 PM
was gonna get involved but smelled a rat /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

DNK
02-19-2008, 10:39 PM
You know Dr. John,I thought you were a little 2 knowledgeable to ask such a question. That's what baffled me.

tdskip
02-19-2008, 11:33 PM
How long before the rest of the squirrel is smoked out?

AweMan
02-19-2008, 11:39 PM
I`v heard of and tasted red Squirrel Gravy, But smoked Squirrel? Smoked Walnuts?
Hahahahahaha
Sorry I couldn`t resist!

Twosheds
02-20-2008, 08:17 AM
You know Dr. John,I thought you were a little 2 knowledgeable to ask such a question. That's what baffled me.

You're too kind, DNK. Here's another photo. Note how the smoke has filled the far meadow.

P.S. DNK, I have been told that your relative in Frederick, MD, Joe, does excellent bodywork in his new shop.

Twosheds
02-20-2008, 08:29 AM
was gonna get involved but smelled a rat /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Smelled a rat!

Just got it.

Good one, Opa!

Opa
02-20-2008, 11:09 AM
do I win a walnut?? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif a lotta thought went into that....t'was the the patch that give it away....

conan69
02-20-2008, 12:40 PM
My TR6 would spit mice out at start up, Nest and all, My cat would run down to the barn with me a sit behind the car to catch them as they were shot out! LAZY CAT! I told him that this wouldn't happen if he was doing his job. He just grabed a roasted mouse a walked off.

BJones
02-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Sounds like a smart cat. He is letting you catch them and cook them.

DNK
02-20-2008, 01:17 PM
[quote=DNK]Y
P.S. DNK, I have been told that your relative in Frederick, MD, Joe, does excellent bodywork in his new shop.
Doc, he's not a relative ,he's a very good friend of my bro in law.(74 TR6)
Actually I will be in your neighborhood starting tomorrow thru Tuesday (Poolesville)
Time for my yearly visit.

CraigLandrum
02-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Wow. Hard to imagine. I would have thought that a mouse would have a hard time with something the size of a walnut and would have a really hard time getting it from the ground up to the tailpipe. A chipmunk might be able to handle the nut, but they are burrowing critters and build extensive nut and grain bins into their burrows to last over the winter. A squirrel would seem to be too large for the pipe.

Got any kids in the neighborhood?

Twosheds
02-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Well, I <span style="font-style: italic">thought</span> they were walnuts, but maybe they were hickory nuts. They were smouldering. I have found hickory nuts under the master cylinders many a time.

I <span style="font-style: italic">have</span> seen kids walk by very rarely. They are probably a-skeert of The Crazy Old Hippie With Them Dopey Little Cars, even though they have nothing to be afraid of. Shed shows no sign of break-in by humans.

The next winter I put Racer's Tape over the tailpipe opening and the little boogers chewed a hole in the tape!

tosoutherncars
02-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Boy! I know the exhaust tunnel gets hot, but I've never heard of anyone actually burning their nuts before! :laugh:

DNK
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
:lol: