PDA

View Full Version : Reversing light problem - need a bit of help

02-18-2008, 10:53 AM
I got my 6 back from the original mechanic in a bit of a sad state. Let's just say he didn't do all that he was paid for...

Since he's gone out of business, there isn't a lot I can do about it except fix the problems.

I'm nearly at the stage where it can go for inspection. I have to fix one final thing - the reverse lights.

A little judicious tracing has found that the switch is connected and works. The wires come into the cabin through a grommet in the tunnel. And then end.

I have a non-stock brown with a length of bare copper and a green with a bullet on it.

Anyone know where the correct connections would be - I'm assuming the brown goes to 12v somewhere and the green to the harness, but I don't know where the actual hookups would be - by the length of the cables, I'd assume under the dash somewhere, but with the mess this tool has left under there I can't tell where without a ton of tracing.

I was hoping to circumvent this. I ~really~ want this to be road legal before I spend much more effort on it.

As always, all help gratefully appreciated...
Alan

Tinster
02-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Alana !

I think the green with the bullet is your power into the
switch wire. If it is connected to the switch, you should
be able to continue it and tie it into the voltage
regulator. I'm thinking a connection into any green wire
should power the switch.

Go into your trunk area and see if any green/brown wires
are to be found connected to the reverse lights. A
green/brown wire should run between the 2 bulbs and then
run up to the front of the car.

Unless the original wire harness was gutted for some reason,
you should be able to find the stubs of the green/brown
wire.

Hope this helps ya.

d

02-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Never mind - I did what I should have done in the first place. No, not shot the mechanic - got down and looked at the spaghetti under the dash.

It all works now, so next job is to get it inspected.

Took it for a little spin up the road - it revs like crazy. This ought to be a fun summer...

DNK
02-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Alan- After all your problems and thoughts of selling it I am happy that it is all sorted out and you will enjoy it.

02-18-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm still in two minds about keeping it to be honest. There is a bad taste left over from all the problems...

That said, SWMBO (who hates the thing) came for a drive. Her comment was "wow, this feels faster than it did".

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Brosky
02-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Don't ya just love to hear those comments from the passenger seat????

02-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Her second comment was "but it still smells".
This despite the AFR being spot on.
You just can't win sometimes...

swift6
02-18-2008, 04:10 PM
You need Dale's exhaust fume blocker. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

The Windblocker Moss sells or anything like it that will block the wind from coming into the cockpit from behind will also get rid of the exhaust fumes that tag along with it. Assuming of course that the rest of your exhaust sytem under thcar is leak free and you don't have major holes in the firewall or floors. Like plugs being missing etc...

02-18-2008, 04:29 PM
She's going to complain regardless until I put a cat on it.

Bloody hippies...

Tinster
02-18-2008, 05:37 PM
She's going to complain regardless until I put a cat on it.

Well the cat and the fume shield did the trick for me !!
The Mrs now enjoys taking drives in the TR.

https://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/TinsterTR6/noel2.jpg

02-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Well that'd keep the dogs happy at least.

amcboy
02-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Rrrrrrr... I love the '69 TR6 Steering wheel...

Wanna trade?

DNK
02-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Let's not even go there with the steering wheel thing again!

02-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Rrrrrrr... I love the '69 TR6 Steering wheel...

Wanna trade?

You will like it until you get a finger stuck in it.

DNK
02-18-2008, 06:34 PM
You can't have that big of mutts Bill, your a dentist.

02-18-2008, 06:35 PM

The Windblocker Moss sells or anything like it that will block the wind from coming into the cockpit from behind will also get rid of the exhaust fumes that tag along with it. Assuming of course that the rest of your exhaust sytem under thcar is leak free and you don't have major holes in the firewall or floors. Like plugs being missing etc...

Or Dr. Bill's SuperSmellBlocker! (I need <u>some </u>comic relief from a bad lobe.)

Really, somehow I think Alan would not settle for any faux roll bar or wind blocker, prolly would need a real-deal roll bar for that monster.....

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/billkaram/supersmellblocker.jpg

02-18-2008, 06:38 PM
But then I can't put the top up.

I always liked Bill's blocker, more so when it had Calvin on it, but even as shown it's a nice piece of work...

DNK
02-18-2008, 06:39 PM
I think the top still works Alan.

02-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Calvin's back on, that is an old pic.

DNK
02-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Love that cat.

02-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I think the top still works Alan.

I meant if I put a ~real~ rollbar in.

DNK
02-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Sorry!

jobster
02-19-2008, 06:34 PM

One thing i've always wanted to point out is that adjusting the lock striker of the boot, in order to make the bootlid closing tighter on the seals, may completely rid of these fumes. It did help for me at least. So as long as I don't lift my arms /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif, I'm totally smell-free after a long drive.