PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4A Ignition

SBooth
02-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Searched the forum for information, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
Have a Petronix on order and would appreciate information on timing. Can it be static timed like my points, or ??
Thanks

TR3driver
02-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Yes, it can be static timed. However, if the timing was close before you install it (and you didn't move the distributor) then it should be close enough to start the engine afterwards.

AltaKnight
02-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't have the Pertonix system but I undersatnd they can be easily damaged by leaving the ignition on with the engine not running; therefore be very careful when static timing that you don't have the power flowing through the unit for any significant duration whilst static timing it. I think using a timing light is probably a better way of doing it.

TR3driver
02-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Pertronix is very vague about how long it takes to damage the unit ... they claim it's from overheating the coil which should take quite a long time. So I would feel safe leaving the key on for 10 minutes or so, which should be plenty of time to complete static timing.

Also, although Pertronix doesn't mention it, if you do need longer to work with timing, I believe it would be safe to use a test lamp as a load in place of the coil. The test lamp will draw much less current through the Pertronix module, so it can't overheat.

But since I've not installed my Pertronix yet, these are only theories. YMMV