PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A key(s) for later TR3A

Andrew Mace
02-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Quick and hopefully easy question regarding TS71909L and other TR3As of that vintage: how many keys for the car? I'm assuming one FP series key for ignition/doors and another for glovebox/bootlid. Correct?

I've (reluctantly) just sold the above car and would like to get the key(s) for the new owner when he picks up the car.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Geo Hahn
02-17-2008, 10:37 AM
FWIW -- That's how it is on a TR4.

I had to go into the garage & check as I never lock the doors or the cubby box. Strangers are welcome to take my road map, ear plugs, Velamints & owners manual... much cheaper than repairing the cubby box door or the top.

martx-5
02-17-2008, 11:12 AM
... I never lock the doors or the cubby box...

How could you not lock the cubby box on a TR3, as you need a key just to open and close the latch. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Or do you just leave it unlocked and hope it won't flop open while driving?

Geo Hahn
02-17-2008, 12:35 PM
I was referring to a TR4... those you can latch w/o locking.

Andrew Mace
02-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Well, silly me. If I'd waited another 15 hours, I could have answered my own question. Found the keys (yes, two of them) buried deep on my key rack. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
How could you not lock the cubby box on a TR3, as you need a key just to open and close the latch. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Or do you just leave it unlocked and hope it won't flop open while driving? Funny you should mention that, since I first tried the second key in the glovebox but couldn't budge the lock. I think it's just sticking, since I know it used to work just fine. Of course, that was back in 1975 or so...and the same key does still work the bootlid locking handle.

All is well again, and I'm sure the new owner will be happy having keys, even though the car is hundreds of hours away from being roadworthy!