PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump internal valve removal question

Brosky
02-16-2008, 02:32 PM
I bought a few original lever style fuel pumps on eBay and sent them to Jeff at Micropolishing LLC for cleaning. He did his usual great job, but when I got the kits, I noticed that there were two valves inside, one for the inlet and one for the outlet. No problem, I'll just replace, I thought.

On the pictures below, this is the one pump of three that is not staked all around the valves, so I thought that it would be the easiest, but I cannot get the valves out.

The valves are pictured both up and down, respectively for what they do, but these things are really in there. I don't want to risk breaking the casting as I attempt to remove them.

I also show a picture of the replacement valve for reference.,

Anyone have any ideas? As always, thanks in advance.

RonMacPherson
02-16-2008, 02:48 PM
The casting if I remember right is an aluminum, the valves are not. Might try an evening in the icebox and then hand slamming the pump body down on a cushioned work bench. Or the other way warm the body up in a pot of hot water...

soak penetrant around the valves where they seat in the pump overnight......

Dental scribe/pick working your way around the valve outer circumference...

Just some ideas... HTH

Brosky
02-16-2008, 03:04 PM
I've tried the scribe and bent two already. They won't budge.

It's a good thing that these will fit in the freezer in a zip lock bag. I'll try that if the penetrant doesn't loosen them.

Tomorrow I'll grind of the staked edges on the others with my Dremel. Hopefully, I'll have a path to follow by then for the others.

mrv8q
02-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Hello, Paul, I went thru a similar ordeal when I rebuilt my TR6 pump a while back. I was able to "prise" them up and out, as Mr. Haynes sez..... wasn't easy, and of course, mangled them getting them out.... you might do a search for that post. I used a Moss rebuild kit initially; but there was no way the Moss valves were going in there. I wound up using the TRF valves, which, in this application, were a much better fit. (And don't do what I did; the pump won't pump if you put them in backward!)

Good luck, and have fun!

Geo Hahn
02-16-2008, 03:54 PM
If they are that difficult to remove why not just leave them in there?

The only failure I have ever had with one of these valves is when one fell out -- not likely in your case.

I realize they include a couple of replacement valves in the kit and generally new is thought to be better than old but in this case you might consider leaving well enough alone.

Disclaimer -- My experience is with 4-cyl TRs, different pump body but similar valves. Perhaps TR6 owners can comment on whether these valves fail.

mrv8q
02-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Here's a link to my "Fun with Fuel Pumps" from 6.13.07.... Hope it helps!

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...6184#Post306184 (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/32059/Number/306184#Post306184)

TR4nut
02-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Greg Gelhar on the team.net pages put out some slides on the process - he pressed in those valves, then staked them in place. Looked like a pretty tricky operation:
fuel pump rebuild (https://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa68/gmark_01/Fuel%20Pump/)
Randy

Brosky
02-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys....going to eat dinner now and I'll check these out when I get back.

Gotta love this forum!

DrEntropy
02-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Same basic AC pump on the T/C Lotus engines. I've used a Dremel tool to fuss the deformations and mangled the old valves to get them out. Thenused a deep-reach socket to ~gently~ whack the new ones in and a 1/4" flat ended punch to swedge the "dimples" back into the aluminum. Patience and a bit of forethought should get ya thru, Paul! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Brosky
02-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Before I assume, which gasket goes under these guys? The figure eight or the small black with the small hole in the center?

Brosky
02-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Never mind on the above question. I guess that the kits come with parts for several style pumps.

These are TRF kits, so hopefully the valves will fit well once I get the old ones out.

George, I might have left them in if they were off my car, but there was so much junk in these that I don't want to rebuild them only to have to tear them apart again.

It looks as though the hard part is getting the old ones out. well, I've got a lot of patience and it's too cold to work in the garage on the car for another month or two, so......

Greg's pics were/are very helpful. Thank you Randy.