PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR-3A Seat problem

Tinkerman
02-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Mornin:

Working on my seats. Took the passenger side seat bottom off of the back and discovered, what may be a serious problem. As you can see from the attachment the bolt is worn. As they would say in Texas it is wallered out pretty bad. Also the back of the pan is bent. That is fixable but I'm not so sure about the bolt. Two questions:
1. Is that bolt available? Did not see a reference to it in the Stanparts catalog. Or in the Moss catalog.
2. Does anyone have a bottom pan with decent bolts on it that I can buy?

All thoughts greatly appreciated.
Tinkerman

Geo Hahn
02-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Not pretty but also not sure it will be a problem. Had to think a bit about which bolt/stud that was -- decided it was the one that lets the p/s seat back lean forward.

Make sense that the shank would get wallowed/worn but the threads don't look too bad. Does the nut (I think it is a big chrome acorn nut) thread on smoothly? You could certainly run a die over the threads to clena them up a bit.

martx-5
02-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey, you ain't sittin' in the passenger's seat! Don't worry about it! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Really, I agree with Geo, just clean things up, paint it and move on. It took over forty years to get like that, so you have at least another eighty before it shears off! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Tinkerman
02-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Hard to refute your logic Art. I like it and will go with it. Like I said before I tend to over engineer, heh. Thanks Geo.

Thanks, Tinkerman

Don Elliott
02-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Once you put that nice shiny chromed acorn nut on it, no-one will be able to see what's underneath. The one towards the center tunnel for the driveshaft is totally hidden for viev by the seat back ant the seat cushion and only when someone opens the passenger's door, might they see the outer one way down there ? I doubt it.

TRTEL
02-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Am in agreement about the pivot bolt, but also would not recommend trying to straighten out the seat pan. Where they bend back is a bit of a weak point(usually from the seat tracks)and straightening it out will only weaken it more and risk cracking the next time. If the seats are really bent back noticeably, you could straighten and add some (spot weld in) some extra metal for strenthening.

Tinkerman
02-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks Tom, will do that. Also thanks for naming the bolt, couldn't think of the proper terminology.

Tinkerman