PDA

View Full Version : Thrust Washer Dimension Question

Moseso
02-13-2008, 05:14 PM
OK -- I am exceedingly cheap and I don't want to buy a standard AND an oversize thrust washer set for my TR3 motor project. Does anyone know the thickness dimension of the "standard" thrust washer? I am going to assume that the oversize ones are .0025" thicker, as a pair of them is said to be .005" oversize. I want to mic the ones I have and see what I should order to replace them. My current end float is .010". Not out of spec, but close enough to the end of the range that I should do something about it while the motor's apart. My current washers measure from .0920" - .0925", depending on where you measure 'em.

martx-5
02-13-2008, 05:58 PM
OK. I'm measureing the STD. size, (new washers) and it measures close to 0.093". the oversize measures 0.098"...0.005" thicker. They don't split it up between sides. It is five thou thicker. You can mix the sizes up. Put the two STD. washers on the front, and the oversize on the rear. That is the preferred way to do it. That's what I had to do. That should give you 0.004"-0.005" float. Looks like you'll be stuck buying two sets.

Edit: Of course, I do have two oversize and two STD just sitting here. They're left over from the two sets I had to buy. E-mail if interested.

TR3driver
02-13-2008, 06:16 PM
TRactor motors almost never have TW problems ... if money was tight I'd just put it back together with STD washers; in fact I've been known to reuse the old ones even when clearance was out of spec. Only intended to run that short block for one summer, but it was still running fine some 10 years later...

It will only cost you a pan gasket and a few hours work to change them later if need be. Mr. Haynes suggests changing the rod bearings every 30,000 anyway so you could do them then.

70herald
02-14-2008, 02:13 AM
Of course if you buy the oversized ones, and they turn out to be a bit to tight you can very gently polish the BACK (steel) side of the washer to increase the clearance.
to do this put a bit of wet type sandpaper on a small piece of glass and then while applying even pressure gently sand the back.
clean it very well an you are ready to go.