PDA

View Full Version : Intake Question

rlandrum
02-11-2008, 06:18 PM
From what I've been told, we have the "incorrect" intake and exhaust for the TR3A. The one we have I believe comes from a later model TR4.

Here's a picture:
https://xjguy.com/triumph/dec10/800x600/00021.jpg

I believe that this intake/exhaust setup makes it difficult or impossible to run air cleaners on the carbs.

I'd like to do a horse trade for the correct intake and exhaust for the TR3A. Anyone have one they'd be willing to part with?

I also have the Y pipe going from exhaust manifold to main exhaust tube.

martx-5
02-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Don't be so quick to horse trade that stuff. Find the casting number on the head...if it's 511695, you have the best combination for the 4 cyl motor. You can fit a pair of HS6 SU's on their with some skinny K&N air filters and keep all the best stuff.

Geo Hahn
02-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Actually that exhaust header appears to be from a TR4A, I mention that in case it assists in the 'horse trade'.

The '511695' mentioned would be on a flat boss on the head casting just above the #1 intake. I don't see that boss so possibly you have a TR3A head.

Twosheds
02-11-2008, 07:19 PM
I will do a straight swap with you if you're not in a hurry. It's too cold to get them out of the lab right now.

PeterK
02-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Not only do you have a TR4A exhaust but you also have either an Abarth or Ansa exhaust system that I spied in your pictures. Both are desireable (at least to me.) So email me if you want to sell it!

I think to use your current intake setup, you'll need the -S-hort version of the SU H6 carbs, the HS6. It works with the long runner intake you have and should fit with 1-3/4" K&Ns.

rlandrum
02-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Ok... After some consideration, I think our best option is to swap out our carbs with HS6s.

I have two fully rebuilt H6s that have never been run or tuned. I'm willing to swap straight up for HS6s in similar condition. I'll take some photos of the carbs tonight.

I also have some velocity stacks which I will include with the carbs, although I don't know that they're much use.

TR3driver
02-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Don't forget that the HS6 need a different throttle linkage ... they turn the opposite direction as the H6 do and usually have no provision for the bellcrank way out in front like the H6 setup.

I'd be glad to swap manifolds with you, but don't want to give up my new HS6 carbs.

TexasKnucklehead
02-13-2008, 01:43 AM
I also have a set of freshly rebuilt HS6 carbs on a high-rise intake (with a heat shield), and have been looking for center-pull linkage for the eventual re-assembly of all these parts I've collected.

Randall, will a TR6 bell-crank and linkage work?

Rob, the "correct" log style intake is still bolted on my head (sitting on the work bench), but I could be talked out of it, if you'd like to stick with your rebuilt carbs.

Jer

rlandrum
02-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Will the correct intake bolt up with the exhaust manifold I have? I noticed that there are bolts that run from a flange on the exhaust into the intake and wanna be sure they line up.

TR3driver
02-13-2008, 12:30 PM
IIRC, the TR3 intake manifold won't fit with the 4A exhaust manifold. The tubes interfere.

But the studs between intake and exhaust are strictly optional, IMO. Took mine out years ago (in an attempt to reduce the amount of heat conducted from exhaust to intake) with no ill effects. Can't prove it, but I suspect it also helps sealing; since the two manifolds are no longer tugging against each other as they expand with the heat.

Sorry, no idea about the TR6 linkage.

billspit
02-13-2008, 03:41 PM
I had this same intake with H6 carbs on my TR3 and they fit with the standard air filter. I had an exhaust header of unknown manufacture.

I would keep this intake, if it were mine.