PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3B

Rut
02-10-2008, 06:51 PM
What can anyone tell me about the TR3B and how it differs from the 3A. Are parts just as easy to come by or is there a quirk or 2 related to the end of the TR3 line? Body panels are my main concern and grills. Thanks, Rut

Mickey Richaud
02-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Except for the engine and tranny (TR4 pieces - big difference was that first gear was synchronized), really the same. Simply speaking, the 3B was kept in the lineup to appease the traditionalists when the 4 was introduced.

There are some who treat the 3B as more desirable, because of the above, and the numbers that were produced. But it's still a TR3, regardless.

jessebogan
02-10-2008, 07:01 PM
A TR3B is a "continuation" model built for the US as the dealers were afraid that the TR4 would not sell. Who would want those pesky roll up windows..... Anyway, They were only available in a few colors, and had the TR4 engine and synchro trans. All other parts should be "standard" TR3. Note though, body panels and the like do not really interchange well between cars. There might be some "fettleing" needed anyway. I think that there were two batches made, with differant serial number prefixes, but I don't have that info at hand right this moment.

Brooklands
02-10-2008, 10:24 PM
The first few TR3Bs had the TR4 transmission, but not the TR4 engine. Most of them had the two drive train changes mentioned above. They were only built in 1962, and only Triumph experts can tell them apart.

vivdownunder
02-11-2008, 07:40 AM
There were just 3334 TR3B's made in 1962, all in left hand drive. The first series were TSF Commission 1 to 534 (F standing for Forward Radiator Company where the cars were made due to the factory production line turned over to TR4) which used a combination of 3A and TR4 components, but all had full synchro boxes. The second series were TCF 1 to 2701 and all had 2138cc TR4 engines and TR4 front disc brakes. All 3B bodies had the cutout for RHD option deleted from the firewall. Panels and grille were identical to the 3A. An easy way to tell a 3B when lifting the bonnet is that the oil breather is at the back of the valve cover. There were only four colours, red, black, spa white and powder blue, but it's believed some were painted to special order. I imported TCF2601L to Australia in 1998 and it is still believed to be the youngest sidescreen car here.

Viv.

PS Balance of cars were supplied to Italia

Brooklands
02-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Viv,
I think you have probably gotten a lot of this correct, but then with Triumph history there is always another version of the story. Adding up the commission numbers you list there would be many fewer than 3334, and my 3B is TCF120L, so I think the TCF second series may have started again at 1.

vivdownunder
02-11-2008, 08:02 AM
You are right on both counts Dave, and I was actually tidying up by edit while you were posting.

Regards,

Viv.

Andrew Mace
02-11-2008, 09:35 AM
One other distinguishing feature of these cars is that they all seem to have only one body number plate, with a TSF prefix regardless of whether the car has a TSF or TCF commission number. And I've noticed over the years that, of the original (unrestored) 3Bs I've seen, most of them seemed to have all-vinyl interiors, and just about all of them seemed to have the later Herald/TR4-style smooth letters TRIUMPH in front.