PDA

View Full Version : Setting Panel Gaps

mylesw
02-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Hello

Getting to that stage now where I'm going to mount the body back on the frame to set the panel gaps before the car is painted. My question is this - is it advised to set the panel gaps with the engine (4 cyl) and gearbox in the car or does it not matter?

Thanks for your help.

Myles

BOXoROCKS
02-10-2008, 04:24 PM
....not sure,...but as I just finish aligning my doors on my TR3,looked real good , then painting, then peeling the paint when I opened the doors,then fainting,....give yourself a little extra gap.

prometalshop
02-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Guys
I always used a rubber squeegee. You can get them in a few thicknesses that best suites your build. Even at a 1/16 build up from paint and clear , keep in mind that times two for each adjoining panel. So a gap can close pretty quick.

Banjo
02-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Myles, Yes, it is best to have all the major /heavy components in place when aligning body panals. But it's not drop dead critical.
Remember you can use shims between the body and frame to resolve door gap issues, and also fit all panals before doing final adjustments. It stinks getting the doors spot on with the front fenders, only to find that you cant get the bonnett to line up.
Also remember that the frame on TRs is flexable. do give yourself a little extra gap twards the top of the doors to accomidate any sag when you have people loaded in the car.

BOXoROCKS
02-10-2008, 09:28 PM
....well that explains it....doggoneit...I don't use clear...

mylesw
03-17-2008, 09:16 PM
OK, got the body back on the frame so I can do the trial fit of the panels. Everything is lining up pretty well except for the rear right fender. What's the method for closing this gap? Already got two aluminum spacers under the rear of the car on this side...

Also, is it me, or does the front valance look like it's not straight..?

Thanks for your help.

Myles

Tinkerman
03-18-2008, 06:46 AM
From what I can see I think that it's you not the valence. Do that to myself all the time.

Tinkerman

03-18-2008, 04:26 PM
How ya gonna line them up without the fender in place?

rlandrum
03-18-2008, 05:38 PM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.

Maybe he meant the gap on the bottom?

tdskip
03-19-2008, 11:19 AM
OK, got the body back on the frame so I can do the trial fit of the panels.

She is looking pretty darn good there! Well done.

TR4nut
03-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Myles-

Looking good. Can't tell on the valence, but you probably can check by some careful measures relative to the frame. Your passenger side looks a tad high perhaps? I would measure both valence and frame height as with your new suspension things may not be level in general.

I think I spot my old bonnet in the back there - if you aren't using it I may be a potential buyer again as I've been pulling apart the project TR4 and it doesn't look too bad yet!

Randy

NickMorgan
03-19-2008, 01:55 PM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.

Maybe he meant the gap on the bottom?

Maybe the fender is fitted and is out of shot to the left and it's that very large gap that he,s worried about!!

Number_6
03-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Also, is it me, or does the front valance look like it's not straight..?

It does look like it's high on the driver side. I drew some straight lines on Paint and it does look like it's few inches high. The front of the frame looks straight but the shell looks a lttle crooked. Here's the pic with the lines I drew. Maybe it's just the way the pic was taken.

https://members.cox.net/rkeniston/images/valance.jpg

TR4nut
03-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Excellent illustration on the picture, but I still say thats the passenger side - I think Myles is still converting this one to right hand drive!

Myles - if you find you need to reposition the valence, you are welcome to test out my Hobart Mig setup I just picked up to attempt floorpan work. I have no idea what I'm doing with it yet though.

Randy

03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Excellent illustration on the picture, but I still say thats the passenger side - I think Myles is still converting this one to right hand drive!

Myles - if you find you need to reposition the valence, you are welcome to test out my Hobart Mig setup I just picked up to attempt floorpan work. I have no idea what I'm doing with it yet though.

Randy

Randy, as you know, I did that last year (replace floorboards, in situ). I have a few pitfalls if you need them.

TR4nut
03-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Randy, as you know, I did that last year (replace floorboards, in situ). I have a few pitfalls if you need them.

If one of the pitfalls is "don't do it", I already thought of that one but now have quite a bit of money in it! Actually, I'll take any advice you can give. If by pitfall you mean something I physically use when welding then I can show off my noviceness by not knowing what they are yet.

I won't be cutting for a while yet, I'm still pulling panels and seeing if I want to go through with it. The drivers side A post looked a lot better than I anticipated, though, and that's the side with most of the trouble.

Randy