PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Triumph TR3 Ebay

BOXoROCKS
02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
There is a nice looking TR3 on ebay at the moment, a white one.The seller claims original sheet, metal no welding. I think it has had welding and also incorrect floors.I asked him and he said no. Anybody care to take a look to see if I am right. It is a 1960. #220200420269 Its a nice car, but I think some will be bidding on a original body....

tdskip
02-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Starting to get up there in price...

martx-5
02-10-2008, 01:31 PM
He really didn't say NO WELDING. He said he couldn't see anywhere where welding was done. He said it was a Saturday nite driver car, not a Pebble Beach candidate.

I guess you're saying the floors aren't original because of the underneath shot. They do look like something was done. The ribbing I guess. When it comes to floors in TR3s, there are those that have been replaced, and those with big holes in them. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif So if there aren't any holes, you almost have to assume some kind of work has been done.

Nice car, but I'm not big into white.

Tinkerman
02-10-2008, 02:59 PM
The one I bought was a 100000 mile car and had bunches of rust on it. Given their propensity to rust I would have to agree that there has been some sheet metal work done on it and a very good paint job.
Seller may not really know. Picture wise it really looks good.

Tinkerman

BOXoROCKS
02-10-2008, 03:26 PM
..yup I think the floors have been replaced, the ribbing runs front to back.Inner rocker has had welding too.I dont think he should advertise it as original panels then. It is a nice car, I just hope the buyer is not expecting an unrepaired original sheet metal car.

martx-5
02-10-2008, 04:21 PM
... I just hope the buyer is not expecting an unrepaired original sheet metal car.

The big question...do any unrepaired, original sheet metal TR3's actually exist?? Yes I know they do, but don't send in a bunch of pictures of rotted out hulks! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Geo Hahn
02-10-2008, 07:01 PM
I am sure original unmolested TR3s do exist, just don't change hands often. Certainly my TR4 which is just 3 or 4 years newer than this TR3 is all original sheet metal and original paint. There are always some.

Nice TR3A... I like that he show the dash/instruments with the engine idling so you can see the RPM, engine temp and oil pressure (even if the instruments have been placed in strange locations).

I see the point about sheet metal but unfortunately it would take a well-informed seller (or buyer) to catch that.

Why are so many of these good-looking examples in Florida?

BOXoROCKS
02-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Geo, you have an original? They are my absolute favorites. They are not perfect,they are real.

Geo Hahn
02-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Originals are delightful to see but of course present a constant dilemma for the owner -- particularly when they are also the everyday car as mine is.

BOXoROCKS
02-16-2008, 09:25 AM
.........incredable 21K+????? there was a member here who just did a red one that didnt reach this level on ebay, and it was FAR better than this one. The only way I can see this TR3 reaching this money is someone(the buyer) thought the were buying an unrestored sheetmetal original. Well, they did not. I know sheet metal,and welds. Rant over, BS ebay marches on...

Mickey Richaud
02-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Agreed, Box. I sold my '57, which was a restoration with new floor pans and inner sills, but a very nice (in my VERY humble opinion) car, for $15.5K on ebay a couple years ago. It was a small mouth, of course, and white/red, but was told at VTR in Rockford that I "should" have entered it in the concours event rather than participants' choice, and it "might" have won.

Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, and you just never know...

Mickey