vettedog72
02-10-2008, 10:21 AM
https://triumphtransamerica.org.uk/?page_id=3

71tr
02-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Man that is one crazy route.

vagt6
02-10-2008, 01:17 PM
I can see one MAJOR flaw in the route plan: they're not stopping in VIRGINIA!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

That's a lot of driving, it would take an almost superhuman effort to achieve!

DougF
02-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Some superhuman car prep too!

TR4nut
02-10-2008, 04:37 PM
But designed to stop at club locations along the way - so hopefully he's not more than a couple hours away from a little more support. He needs to pull that route down to Houston, though..

Randy

StagByTriumph
02-10-2008, 06:40 PM
I can see one MAJOR flaw in the route plan: they're not stopping in VIRGINIA!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

That's a lot of driving, it would take an almost superhuman effort to achieve!

Gents,
The map is flexible and can be changed as clubs step forward to request John to stop by. So who wants John to pay a visit? Richmond Triumphs or Capital Triumph Register?

Just let John know and I am sure he will accommodate your request.

A lot of driving? The route is over 90 days, so that is only 112 miles a day average, and will most likely be 300 miles every 3 days or so as the schedule shows, plenty of rest between stops.

My comment here is: We Triumph enthusiasts here in the USA WILL make this drive a complete success. (We do not need naysayers.)

There are a few things we are asking of the Triumph Clubs who wish to host John in exchange for a talk to the club on Life at Triumph, etc.

More on this before the end of March 2008.

Route is planned, car is selected, pledges to purchase the car are up to $5550 https://www.ranteer.com/misc2/ and are being received by Red River Triumph Club.

BTW, I am back at John Macartney's as I write this, Stoneleigh was bloody excellent!!

The Donated spitfire (which I have driven) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif began it's official raffle, with more tickets to be sold at Ally Pally Classic car show(Alexander Palace in London) 23 & 24 Feb.

Cheers. We're off to the pub!

Mickey Richaud
02-10-2008, 06:55 PM

YOU DOG!

I could've done without THAT!

Have one for me, anyway!

DNK
02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
On the Sabbath?

Mickey Richaud
02-10-2008, 07:03 PM
On the Sabbath?

Yep.

Geo Hahn
02-10-2008, 07:09 PM
What a route. I'd love to see it come within a day's drive of my world but Arizona in August is no picnic so I understand.

I do wonder about that last day's drive from Washington state to SLO. Am I reading that right? My recollection is that is quite a haul.

DNK
02-10-2008, 07:11 PM
No way that would happen. 13 hours to Sac. and that is by I-5. I would assume they are taking a nicer route?

vagt6
02-11-2008, 08:14 AM
So John, is the fund for PTSD for British miliary veterans?

And, who is Mr. McCartney, referenced in all your literature? Is he a physician?

Just wondering . . .

StagByTriumph
02-11-2008, 12:27 PM
So John, is the fund for PTSD for British miliary veterans?

And, who is Mr. McCartney, referenced in all your literature? Is he a physician?

Just wondering . . .

WOT WOT WOT?? You do not know WHO John Macartney IS?? And you say you are a TRIUMPH OWNER?? Harumph! I am sorry you have been kept in the dark.

Please Visit https://www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk

The web site, provided you take the time to read the various areas, should answer most of your questions.

For the short answer, the TMCT will be supporting 3 charities that assist everyone afflicted with PTSD. Current enlisted military - US,UK,CAN - are already covered being diagnosed and treated for PTSD. However it afflicts so much more of society as explained on the TTA web site.

The ROUTE:

Right, I did say in my email just 5 responses up that this map route planning is in progress, not cast in stone. It is a work in progress and may not ever be completely committed to a stone tablet.

As clubs step up close to the route, the route bends to accommodate those requests if and as time allows.

Also, travel distances are subject to my final review and editing in order to make each leg of the drive as short and comfortable as possible. As observed, Washington to SLO will NOT be in one drive. John and his wife have an anniversary in September about the time John arrives in San Francisco, and there will most likely be a stop to meet up with Triumph Travelers Club and other enthusiasts.

If you have any questions after visiting the web site, I would be very happy to provide answers.

vagt6
02-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Many thanks, Glenn!

My ignorance of such important Triumph factoids is living proof that I need to get over to England more often!!!

Best of luck to you in this event. It's a most worthy cause, with both our nations at war.

Cheers! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Don Elliott
02-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Mark - Don't forget that the Canadian military is battling there too. They have been engaging the enemy in the Taliban controlled south of Afganistan which is just as bad an area as all the news you hear about your troops and the Brits in Irak. This is why John wants to do part of this Triumph run in Canada.

Geo Hahn
02-11-2008, 06:55 PM
My ignorance of such important Triumph factoids is living proof that I need to get over to England more often!!!

Much cheaper than crossing the pond is John's excellent book on Life at Triumph...

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Life-at-Standard-Triumph-John-Marcartney_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ320067080729

A delightful read for any Triumph fan.

DNK
02-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Seattle to SF is still a long way.I say take the coast from about Eugene and stay the night around Coos Bay.1 of the prettest drives from CB to SLO

gsalt57tr3
02-12-2008, 03:14 AM
What a route. I'd love to see it come within a day's drive of my world but Arizona in August is no picnic so I understand.

I do wonder about that last day's drive from Washington state to SLO. Am I reading that right? My recollection is that is quite a haul.

Someone must have misread the description of the drive. I thought it said leaving Vancouver on the 21st and arriving in SLO on the 29th. Eight days would be alot of time to do the coast route, the Oregon coast is beautiful.

I'm disappointed that they have changed the route to bypass the Central Valley. There's a great club in Sacramento, Modesto has a nice club, and then there's our group here in Fresno. Maybe because we aren't limited to Triumphs?

tosoutherncars
02-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Hello! RE: the Canada leg...

East of Toronto, you show driving several hundred kilometers along the 401, a desperately boring 3-lane highway with little to do or see. It also takes you close to, but not through Ottawa, the nation's capital.

I would highly suggest the following alternate route, which takes you along the 7, a fantastic road with lots of scenery, small towns, and fun LBC-friendly curves. And, when you end up in Ottawa...

I'm a member of the local MGOC, which also caters to Triumphs. (We're Canadians, we're nice like that! I get the best of both worlds, with my Triumph 1500-engined Midget, of course...) I would be more than happy to host you, and I'm sure other members of the club would be happy to help out.

Please feel free to get in touch.

MAP of Toronto / Ottawa / Mtl route (https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=17635386280812508434,44.282280,-78.343860&saddr=toronto,+on&daddr=The+Pkwy+%4044.282280,+-78.343860+to:45.406164,-75.651855+to:montreal,+quebec&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=7&via=1,2&sll=44.580445,-76.46963&sspn=4.34249,7.932129&ie=UTF8&z=7)

StagByTriumph
02-15-2008, 06:44 PM

YOU DOG!

I could've done without THAT!

Have one for me, anyway!

Well on 11 Feb on the evening before I departed, John and I went off to several local pubs in Evesham. YUM!!!

StagByTriumph
02-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Hello! RE: the Canada leg...

East of Toronto, you show driving several hundred kilometers along the 401, a desperately boring 3-lane highway with little to do or see. It also takes you close to, but not through Ottawa, the nation's capital.

I would highly suggest the following alternate route, which takes you along the 7, a fantastic road with lots of scenery, small towns, and fun LBC-friendly curves. And, when you end up in Ottawa...

I'm a member of the local MGOC, which also caters to Triumphs. (We're Canadians, we're nice like that! I get the best of both worlds, with my Triumph 1500-engined Midget, of course...) I would be more than happy to host you, and I'm sure other members of the club would be happy to help out.

Please feel free to get in touch.

MAP of Toronto / Ottawa / Mtl route (https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=17635386280812508434,44.282280,-78.343860&saddr=toronto,+on&daddr=The+Pkwy+%4044.282280,+-78.343860+to:45.406164,-75.651855+to:montreal,+quebec&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=7&via=1,2&sll=44.580445,-76.46963&sspn=4.34249,7.932129&ie=UTF8&z=7)

Thanks for the input on the route.

Of Utmost Importance: /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

As stated before, the route is NOT chiseled into stone. Think of that route on the map as made of a string laying on the map, it can, and most likely will change based on input from other clubs.

cmacmillan
02-15-2008, 08:26 PM
As an Ottawan (displaced temporarily), I agree....Hwy 7 would be a fantastic route with some great towns...might see Elvis in Tweed!

...and you certainly can't miss Ottawa...would be a crime...go to Local Heroes for some chicken wings while you're there....won't regret it! Not to mention the generous offer of a host!