PDA

View Full Version : $41,800 Tiger

pmenhusen
11-21-2002, 02:43 PM
In the 12/02-1/03 issue of British Car, they listed a sale at the RM Monterey Auction: 1964 Sunbeam Tiger $41,800! This is much higher than I've ever heard of for a Tiger. Does anyone know if there was anything special about this Tiger that increased it's value?

Sherlock
11-22-2002, 02:05 AM
Actually, I think it's the RM Classic Cars syndrome. The same company that was trying to sell an apparently mint Triumph Herald convertible (fully restored by them) for $29,000!! Considering that the average Herald in decent shape goes for $7,000 maximum.

I also personally think that auctions sometimes push the price of a car higher, artificially, particularly when guys start bidding against each other - and sometimes prices get silly.

MattP
11-22-2002, 05:49 AM
Car auctions are not the only culprits, I love that E-bay has pulled off the "win" concept. You "win" the oppurtunity to buy something at twice the value. It is simple psychology, change it from acquistion of needed goods to competetition to pay more and sit back and smile. The winner? The guy that just got twice what his crap was worth. Oh well, what are you gonna do?

Well, I am out of time, I need to go get some of this Star Wars stuff on E-bay. "Good luck, I hope you win." images/icons/tongue.gif

MattP

thegoodbeamer
11-22-2002, 09:28 AM
I also saw this tiger for $41800.00. Seems a lot and I agree on the bidding driving the price. There was another tiger I saw advertised a while back and they were asking 50K.Mind you These tigers were probably finished about 200% better than when they left the factory. Showed the price to my wife and she says what's our tiger worth.I asked her if she was willing to put another 25K into the car and we redo it completly over and maybe we could get a big price.That was the end of that as I have put too much money allready in the front end I'm modifying.So she says. images/icons/cool.gif Its sunny and warm and I'm washing the trucks in the driveway. So much for our going skiing

BadKitty
01-21-2003, 02:48 PM
I believe I read somewhere that that was the "Works" ralley car restored. Race history always pays.