PDA

View Full Version : Header Rail Seal: How to offend the neighbours

jjbunn
02-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Our new neighbours, who were out in the garden today, must have wondered about the tone of the neighbourhood they've moved into as I effed and blinded my way through the task of fitting the soft top's header rail seal.

The rails into which the seal fits are barely big enough, and it's very tricky pushing the seal into them. I found that I needed to spray everything with WD40 and open up the rail aperture a bit all along its length using pliers. In the end it went in, and looks very good, but wow, what a hassle!

DrEntropy
02-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Hey, it was YOUR countrymen who designed th' thing! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

amcboy
02-09-2008, 09:11 PM
After a few pints the designing began...

Speaking of pints, a mini thread hijack here.

Doc E, do they still do the big bike race in Elsinore?

Always wanted to go to that...

jjbunn
02-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Hey, it was YOUR countrymen who designed th' thing! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

I think they all had one too many pints of Scruttock's Old Dirigible.

amcboy
02-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Julian please tell me that "Scruttock's Old Dirigible" is an adult libation...

And where can I get one?

Ah, off to bed anyways.

Andrew Mace
02-09-2008, 10:59 PM
They ARE fun to install, aren't they? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I've found that a "sharpened" paint stirrer or similar wood shim, or even a really blunt flat-blade screwdriver, used very gently, helps a lot as well. But blue language and adult libations are very effective!

DrEntropy
02-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Again: POPSICLE sticks. Same as an MGB windshield. Chopsticks are a handy tool as well.

02-09-2008, 11:15 PM
They ARE fun to install, aren't they? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I've found that a "sharpened" paint stirrer or similar wood shim, or even a really blunt flat-blade screwdriver, used very gently, helps a lot as well. But blue language and adult libations are very effective!

Those things sound like a shiv. Have you served? Time, that is.

DougF
02-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Between that seal and the windshield, I used so much dish soap that every time it rained, I thought of Lawrence Welk.

DrEntropy
02-10-2008, 06:37 AM
This puts me in mind of a possible commercial venture: in the vein of the wind-up keys and Rolls-Royce faux front-ends on VW's, the scrotum lookin' things wot hang on pick-up trucks' Reese hitches, li'l "boat" propellers, etc... has anyone ever offered a bubble machine for an automotive application? I'd LOVE to see a Hyundai or suchlike putterin' down the street leaving a trail of bubbles!

John_Mc
02-10-2008, 10:00 PM
I saw it done on "Pimp My Ride" once!

TexasKnucklehead
02-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Houston art car parade has a few blowing steady streams of bubbles every year...

LarryK
02-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Give the neighbors a ride, they'll get over it. Besides maybe you were just entertaining.

TR6oldtimer
02-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Your neighbors should be thankful they are not living next to me when I start banging on body panels or better yet, when I use my pneumatic die grinder and cutter or the high speed electric grinder on sheet metal.

But then again I have to put up with the "rock" band practice from the house behind me.

Mickey Richaud
02-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Posted this before, but your post reminded me:

My shop is in the back of the yard, and there are two houses fairly close by. When bleeding the brakes, my wife pumps the pedal while I open the bleeders. I'll let you fill in the blanks about the dialogue when I "urge" her to work the pedal more vigorously, and question her how the pedal progressively feels! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif