PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 timing chain sprocket alignment

bash
02-08-2008, 12:02 AM
I am in the process of rebuilding my TR6 engine and I am having trouble finding any information on fore and aft alignment of the crank and cam sprockets - the manuals (Haynes, Bentley and BL) say that shims can be used to align the sprockets, which is all well and good - 0.004" and 0.006" available, so I guess within a few thou will be fine. Here's what troubles me - the crank end float is more than the thickness of the shims - I am aiming for about 0.005" crank end float, so should the crank pulley be pushed forwards, back, or in the middle? I am not really sure if it matters, but I thought I would see if anyone has a proper answer!

Cheers
Alistair

Bugeye58
02-08-2008, 04:19 AM
Alistair, the factory manual for my GT6 doesn't specify, but what I've always done is to rotate the crank by hand a few times and base my shim stack on the measurements I take then. I figure that by doing this, the crank tends to find its normal operating position.
Jeff

Brosky
02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Do you have the latest edition of the 6-Pack magazine with the green TR6 on the cover? I think that the info you are looking for is in there, in the great article that Kai wrote on TR6 cams and timing them.

I'm traveling, so I can't get it for you to verify at this moment.

bash
02-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Jeff - thanks - that sounds like a sensible approach. Failing any better information that's what I will do.

Paul - I just had another look at the article you mentioned, and it appears to have plenty of information about setting up the timing of the wheels, but I didn't see any mention of aligning the sprockets fore and aft - I must admit I didn't read every word, though, so I may have missed it.

Cheers
Alistair