PDA

View Full Version : tuning issue?

70herald
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I just took the herald for a spin around the block, and there is at least one major issue. When I try to accelerate, the engine really hesitates, and there is almost no low end torque. Almost undrivable as it is right now.
Timing was set first by static and then I took a second look with the timing light, dizzy really need to be rebuilt. The advance jumps to full (mechanical) advance almost instantly, I have set advance at about 20 for the time being.
Also it sounds like it is backfiring or maybe part of the ignition cycle is occurring in the exhaust manifolds?
Open to any ideas

amcboy
02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Ayup, your didtributor is biting you in the behind.

Difficult to determnine other problems with that in the way...

poolboy
02-08-2008, 09:38 PM
70herald, there was a very long thread on such an issue on the https://www.6-pack.org forum entitled "apparent loss of horsepower inquiry" We went around the world speculating the cause. To my mind the rapid advance of the timing was never explained although the owner seemed to get some relief eventually.

70herald
02-09-2008, 12:12 PM
It is true that the distributor is not helping but with the same dizzy I was getting much better performance before I started playing around again. I think that the answer is actually much simpler (after having mulled this over for a few days) I am pretty sure that I just screwed up on adjusting the carb, and it is way way to lean right now. Now I just need a bit of time to go out and play again.

Brosky
02-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Just remember the proper sequence of tuning. (assuming all parts being set are new or good)

1. Spark plug gap
2. Point gap
3. Ignition base timing (I prefer using a light and watching the advance at work)with advance or retard disconnected.

After all of these are set properly, then you should adjust the carb.

This also assumes that you have checked for any vacuum leaks, choke issues and have a good distributor cap and rotor.

JM2$