PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Spitfire hardtop

eejay56
02-06-2008, 06:59 PM
How is the hardtop supposed to connect to the body on a spit? There are brackets that connect right behind the doors but should there be something to attach to the top of the windshield (like my ragtop) and at the rear?

Bob Claffie
02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Don't know about your late models but I THINK on my old '76 there were two captive nuts or tapped holes in the base of the top and the bolts came up from under the rear sheet metal panel. Front should be like the soft top? Be interesting to see what somebody says that really knows. Bob

Andrew Mace
02-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Eric (and Bob -- hi, Bob!): the front attaches with bolts as well. There are holes in the bottom of the windshield header rail that are covered by the vinyl unless someone has already pierced them. Bolt go up through that and into tapped plates in the hardtop. ISTR that there are rubber plugs on the top of the header rail finisher that are removed as well so the bolts can go through.

It's a similar situation at the rear except that there are tabs on the hardtop, through which bolts go that screw into tapped plates in the rear body. Again, ISTR that there is an extra set of holes/tapped plates specific to the hardtop and found by undoing the bolts that hold the rear stiffener rail of the top to the tonneau panel.

LarryK
02-06-2008, 09:08 PM
If you lift or remove the hood cover at back you will see 2 holes, 1 on each side of back panel. The windshield top has 2 holes, 1 on each side ( almost in line with back), and right at the back edge of the doors just in front of seat line will be a bracket for center bolts. Hard top has bolts in these areas and slips into those locations. Bolts are then snugged. My 64 was fastened this way too! Whoops, Andy beat me!!!!

myspitfire
02-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Good info;In addition the hard top also secures on the sides where the softop frame secures.Their are special hold down bolts(See Victoria British catalog)One set is used when the soft top frame is removed & one set(bolts) used when the soft top frame is in place(stowed)The owners manuals describe this proceedure,Also'The Haynes & Bentley' shop manuals.Its good to also know that by fastening & securing the sides down eliminates flexing of the hard top & stops noise/vibrations.,makes for a quieter ride.
Ken&Whitelightning(Spitfire mfg Nov 1979 for the 1980 model year)Calif restored

myspitfire
02-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Good info;In addition the hard top also secures on the sides where the softop frame secures.Their are special hold down bolts(See Victoria British catalog)One set is used when the soft top frame is removed & one set(bolts) used when the soft top frame is in place(stowed)The owners manuals describe this proceedure,Also'The Haynes & Bentley' shop manuals.Its good to also know that by fastening & securing the sides down eliminates flexing of the hard top & stops noise/vibrations.,makes for a quieter ride.
Ken&Whitelightning(Spitfire mfg Nov 1979 for the 1980 model year)Calif restored

myspitfire
02-07-2008, 12:07 AM
OOPS!Double jeopardy strikes again.;-)

71MKIV
02-07-2008, 08:40 AM
The other thing you have to watch, it that there is two little brass bushings that go in the windshield header so that when you tighten the top bolts you don't smash the header. Don't ask me how I know that /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif Most hardware stores worth the look would have a selection of these inserts, you may have to cut some off to make it the right length, but they should have them. They look like little hats with a flange at the end of a cylinder. These are loose, and most are missing.

I need to make some of the hardware for the sides of my hardtop, as those were missing from the baskets my spitfire came in.

Steve
1971 Spit fire MKIV

Never trust a weatherman with no window in his cubicle

eejay56
02-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Duh! I never thought to look in the Owners Manual. That and VB make it crystal clear. Now I need to look through my parts boxes and see if they are there. Steve, did you check VB? It looks like they have all that stuff.

Andrew Mace
02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Duh! I never thought to look in the Owners Manual.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

tdskip
02-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Anyone need a Spit hardtop?