PDA

View Full Version : John McCain Called Me Today --- Twice !!

Naomi
02-06-2008, 06:51 PM
John McCain called me two times today but I couldn't get a word in edgewise and he said the exact words each time. I know our primary is next Tuesday here in Virginia but wonder why he wouldn't answer back when I tried to ask questions?

Any of ya'll received calls from the candidates?

Your turn /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Basil
02-06-2008, 07:20 PM
All the time--but usually its state folks. But come to think of it, my wife did say Hillary called once a while back.

AweMan
02-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Woundn`t do any of em any good to call me! No.1 I don`t answer the phone {I hate the thing!} No.2 I`d look on the caller id {If I could see that small text} And .... you guessed it ..... If I saw it was a politician or someone campaining for one .... nope I wouldn`t answer. People that know me and want to call me know the deal, if they want me to pick up the phone, they use the premade arrangement. Other wise NO CIGAR!

Bob McElwee
02-06-2008, 11:24 PM
We are finally back to peace and quite until the August primary. We were getting calls from all the candidates. Got to where I would check the number, pick up the phone and immediately hang up to prevent getting a long, long recorded message.
Silence is golden!

DART
02-07-2008, 12:41 AM
John called me this afternoon too, caller ID said "unavailable", which if I'd known what the call was, I would have been. A little surprised he's spending the $$ on our primaries.

NutmegCT
02-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Just out of curiosity ...

Do those robo-callers actually change anything? Like ... would listening to an endless spiel of blah which interrupted my dinner actually make me want to vote for/against someone/something?

Isn't it likely that the gazillions of $$$ spent on those things is just turning people off?

Kinda like junk email?

Any people who contribute to campaigns wonder where their money is going ...

Yeesh.
Tom

JamesWilson
02-07-2008, 07:01 AM
I recall (can't now remember when or where) reading of a political dirty tricks campaign where one candidate would have an operation placing multiple fake calls purporting to be from their opponent to people, usually at dinner time, etc. with the intent of alienating those voters. I suppose if I'd got several calls in a row, several days in a row I might well be cheesed off enough to vote against the person I'd supposed was responsible.

DrEntropy
02-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Good point, James. I recall hearing that too. Thought it perfectly logical in the context of US politics. Been similar ploys and schemes since Jefferson ran for the first time. Guerrllia politics.

NutmegCT
02-07-2008, 07:57 AM
DrE - remember this one?

"ma, ma, where's my pa?"

"gone to the WhiteHouse, ha ha ha"

the more things change ...

Tom

coldplugs
02-07-2008, 08:33 AM
... Guerrllia politics.

My favorite story re this - probably untrue - is about the 2 candidates in a hard fought campaign. Candidate "A" decided to spend a fortune on a 30 minute TV slot late at night. Candidate "B" was very concerned about this. He bought a one minute commercial at the end of the previous time slot. He played an abbreviated Star Spangled Banner for 30 seconds, then had 30 seconds of dead air. Naturally, few people saw Candidate "A"'s sales pitch.

Note: "Candidate 'A' and Candidate 'B' were not their real names.

DrEntropy
02-07-2008, 08:37 AM
heh.

"Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash..."

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

longbridgehealey
02-07-2008, 08:51 AM
[quote=DrEntropy]heh.

"Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash..."

"Wherever you are"

bugimike
02-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Hot Cha Cha Cha!!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

roofman
02-07-2008, 11:18 AM
When they had the South Carolina Primary every day I would come home to Ron Pauls reason #1, #4, etc. reason to vote for him. I am on the national do not call list, and figure if the can stomp on my rights over the phone like that , they will to my wallet later. What gives these political candidates the right to get around the law?

drooartz
02-07-2008, 12:04 PM
I am on the national do not call list [...] What gives these political candidates the right to get around the law?
The National Do Not Call list has an official exemption for political and non-profit calls, if I remember correctly. Haven't gotten the politicos yet (no one bothers with Utah), but I've gotten 2 different ones lately from Yale (my alma matter) begging for donations.

From the website ( https://www.donotcall.gov )

The National Do Not Call Registry does not limit calls by political organizations, charities, or telephone surveyors

tomshobby
02-07-2008, 12:58 PM
I figure that if they were any good to begin with everyone would know it and they would not have to call and p... me off.

DNK
02-07-2008, 11:31 PM
John McCain called me two times today but I couldn't get a word in edgewise and he said the exact words each time. I know our primary is next Tuesday here in Virginia but wonder why he wouldn't answer back when I tried to ask questions?

Any of ya'll received calls from the candidates?

Your turn /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Next time he calls ask him why he hates Boeing?