PDA

View Full Version : Any "SomeData" subscribers?? HELP!!

DrEntropy
01-31-2008, 05:30 PM
Have a Jeep here, 1994 2.5L 4 banger... cannot find TIMING spec's for the thing. "Factory adjusted" and "service manual" are invoked all over it. Haynes book is worthless. Thing is at 12* advance at idle, EFI and a "Secet box" for a spark trigger. Falls on its nose after running at 2500 RPM for a while, stumbles and stalls. Acts electrical, have good delivery pressure at the rail, runs FINE at idle and low RPM acceleration. Someone put a set of plugwires on it recently, wondering if timing was diddled. No vacuum advance on the dizzy. Vacuum line to the ECM on the firewall.

SilentUnicorn
01-31-2008, 08:37 PM
OBD II ?

any codes?

mark

DrEntropy
01-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Caveman wrenching here. No scanners, etc.

Found the prob: After swapping out cap, rotor, plugs, doing a VC gasket R&R and tightening down the intake/exhaust manifold with no change in the running of the thing I actually DROVE a Jeep. GAH. It started bucking on a right hand turn, cutting out like someone was hitting a momentary cut-out switch. Limped it back to th' hovel, upped th' bonnet. Got it running at idle, smooth as can be. WTF?!?!

I decided the loom at the injector rail needed a "wiggle test"... it died as soon as I gave it a few. There's a discontinuity in the harness someplace, tomorrow I'll find it and patch the thing. Another argument that "utility vehicles" should have CARBS for induction. sheesh.

This Jeep is owned by a friend, he dragged the $500 Spider I now use as my daily home with it back in '98. It has seen some REAL stick. Off-road trails, rock climbing, the lot. Stuff most Jeeps never get put thru. I did head/valve work on it a few years back and at this point I feel I have a vested interest in the beast. Extended family kinda stuff.

Mickey Richaud
01-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Another argument that "utility vehicles" should have CARBS for induction. sheesh.

Bygone days, Bro!

But what do WE know, huh? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DrEntropy
02-01-2008, 04:49 AM
I know... but I can dream, can't I? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'll maul the thing into compliance, I can "pass" as a techie. I just don't have to LIKE it. And I refuse to spend MY money on OBD-II gear. I'll feel my way thru the occasional "test" with sticks 'n rocks.

SilentUnicorn
02-01-2008, 05:01 AM
Egr could be a possibility......

mark

DrEntropy
02-01-2008, 07:21 AM
This is a stone dead electrical miss, Mark. It will be found/corrected this AM. May even take pix of the "fix" for amusement.

SilentUnicorn
02-01-2008, 07:47 AM
kewl

DrEntropy
02-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Faced with rain the job went on apace without documentation. Posted final answer and success in the "Other Cars" forum.

"It LIVES!!"

feh.

big deal... still a Jeep. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

DNK
02-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Doc- Have you tried the library. They subscribe to those. You know the building with all the books they foolishly allow you to borrow?

DrEntropy
02-02-2008, 07:00 AM
I found this thingie called: "Google." Onna innernet. Seems to have made those 'book palaces' somewhat redundant.

Tho I will say there's still something nice about a tactile connection to reading material.

PAUL161
02-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Jeep 2.5 150 CID with auto tranny = 9 to 11 degrees.
Idle speed = 600 +/- 70 rpm. w/ auto
Idle speed + 680 +/- 70 rpm manual

DNK
02-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Socrates said that the printed word would kill civilization one day.
Of course I'm paraphrasing.