PDA

View Full Version : Hocky, revisited.

DrEntropy
01-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Went to a Tampa Bay Lightning game last evening. Colder inna stadium than outdoors... Got "nosebleed seats" and could see most all of the ice, no hidden puck.

The thing wot struck me (having grown up in the NE US) is the wild way this place treats the game. They have CHEERLEADERS. Pom-pom girls! Ridiculous. Hockey don't need "time fillers!" And there's a great-giant "tron" thingie hangin' over the ice, they USUALLY have the cameras on the puck, but will train 'em on the rah-rah kids and crowd as the game goes on... very distracting. Beer was $10 a 16oz cup, food courts had every imaginable franchise hawkin' overpriced stuff... but the folks who show up as fans seem to take their ice-puckey seriously: Lightning "regalia" on ALL of 'em. Jerseys with autographs, "puck hats", pom-poms, th' works.

I may decide I'll watch any hockey on TV inna livin' room. Cheaper beer, better food and NO distractions from th' GAME.

...I just KNEW an NHL team in FLorida was ~unnatural~ somehow. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

weewillie
01-23-2008, 11:54 AM
What gets me doc is that the game stops for tv commercials

Steve
01-23-2008, 01:09 PM
All the games here stop for TV commercials........

Except soccer.

Maybe that's why the TV stations don't like to carry it?

hottvr
01-23-2008, 01:47 PM
"You think the old folks in Florida are gonna like this?"
Johnny from Slapshot about moving the Chiefs to Florida

aerog
01-23-2008, 02:18 PM
...I just KNEW an NHL team in FLorida was ~unnatural~ somehow. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

I know several people that had kids playing hockey in school here in Florida. I never heard of that in Virginia. Maybe it's the influence of the New York and New Englanders moving down here?

DrEntropy
01-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Mebbe.

The commercial "breaks" are when th' rah-rah kids prance around.

NHL has apparently used the NFL 'business model'. More's th' pity.

Used to be a soccer team here called "The Rowdies". Now THAT was something to watch. I think hockey's been corrupted.

Stewart
01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
I never got the cheer leading thing but they started it up here in 2001 with the new arena and they even put them on skates and then it started to spread to the other universities. Next they put up those silly nets to protect the crowd. Part of the fun of going to the game was knowing that at any time you may have to go diving from your seat to avoid a puck and hockey is a blood sport and the audience gets to share in the fun. Plus it keeps you actively watching the game.

Just dont stick a puck in your pocket if you get one they are darn cold.

NHL sucks but college hockey is pretty darn good

01-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.

They tried professional hockey down here in Lafayette. You are right, it was a 3-ring circus. It last all of 3 or 4 years and the local coonasses got bored with it. If you wanted to fight, just go to a local bar. The beer is cheaper.