PDA

View Full Version : New Help Forum

Basil
01-21-2008, 09:52 AM
I just created this new forum (1/21/08) as a place where members can discuss forum functionality. If you have a question about how to do something on the forum, you can ask it here. The answers won't necessarily come from me - other members can provide assistance also. Given the number of emails I get asking the same kinds of questions, I thought this forum might be useful.

PS: You can also use this forum for discussing general computer issues as well.

roofman
01-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Is there a way to change to an animated avatar?

Basil
01-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Yes, just upload an animated GIF in you "My Stuff" >> "My Profile" area. However, to be honest, I'd prefer folks not use animation in their avatar or signature, becauwe frankly, they can be annoying for some folks.

daver80
04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Posted to wrong catagory- how do I delete my post?

Dale
07-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Am still trying to post my first pics on the forum. You guys that do this as naturally as breathing leave me with my mouth agape. I have pictures off my camera in a folder in "my computer". I e-mailed some to myself as that was the only way I could downsize them. When (if) they show up in my mailbox can I post them from there? And if so, what dark spirits must I invoke to accomplish it. I appreciate your patience with me, but be forwarned that I am determined to master this, so your patience may be strained. Dale

Basil
07-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Am still trying to post my first pics on the forum. You guys that do this as naturally as breathing leave me with my mouth agape. I have pictures off my camera in a folder in "my computer". I e-mailed some to myself as that was the only way I could downsize them. When (if) they show up in my mailbox can I post them from there? And if so, what dark spirits must I invoke to accomplish it. I appreciate your patience with me, but be forwarned that I am determined to master this, so your patience may be strained. Dale

See if this video (https://www.britishcarforum.com/help/videoz/post_images.wmv) helps.

If you still have trouble or have any questions, email or PM me with your phone # and I'll call and talk you through it.

Basil

cannon
10-17-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm a new member.
I have a problem with my TR6 and would like to ask members if they ever had such an issue. Where or how do I go to post it?
Also,
I would like to introduce myself to the forum but the "introduction" box doesn't have anywhere to do this.

cannon
10-17-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm a new member.
I have a problem with my TR6 and would like to ask members if they ever had such an issue. Where or how do I go to post it?
Also,
I would like to introduce myself to the forum but the "introduction" box doesn't have anywhere to do this.

Mickey Richaud
10-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Cannon -

First, welcome to the party!

If you click on the "New Member Introduction" section, you should see the "New Topic" button. Click on that and post away.

For a TR-specific question, do the same in the Triumph section.

Glad you're aboard!

Mickey

Tinster
10-18-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm a new member.

<span style="color: #660000">Welcome aboard Cannon !!

I am Tinster and I own the most often broken down
TR6 on the Triumph forum. Trust me, any issue you might have
has been experienced by more than one member and help will
quickly be sent your way.

Again, welocme aboard,

Cap't Dale </span>

mightymidget
11-14-2009, 10:54 AM
When I print a thread I want to save for reference I use the computer task bar (file-print)and the side is cut of of thread responses.

Does this site have a print version? should I want to print a thread and all responses

Basil
11-14-2009, 01:35 PM
When I print a thread I want to save for reference I use the computer task bar (file-print)and the side is cut of of thread responses.

Does this site have a print version? should I want to print a thread and all responses

At the top of a thread, click on "Topic Options" the select "Print Topic" That will put the thread in a printable format and you then use the file print function as normal on your browser.

aeromech57
12-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Greeting all!

New member Aeromech57 here. New to a TR6 but previously owned MG's and a Sprite.
I look forward to learning from all.

Basil
12-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Greetings - but you posted in the wrong forum :smile: We have a forum called "New Member Forum". This is the Forum Help forum :smile:

GaryBeu
01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Sooo...when I sign in I've tried checking the box for "remember me on each visit" but it doesn't work. Suggestions?? Thanks.

Basil
01-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Sounds like it might be your security settings are set too high. Not necessarily a bad thing, but that might be preventing your browser from remembering you via cookies.

GaryBeu
01-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks. I'll check that out.

JRC
04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
How long does it take for a profile to update after upgrading?

How do I take advantage of my Gold Membership? (i.e., Custom Title (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/help/subfeatures.html) )

Is there a way for Moderators to post a thread at the top of a Forum section? This would be great if we could assemble all DIY info. for each particular model. (I notice the Triumph Spitfire Tech Wiki section severely lacking.)

Basil
04-15-2010, 04:25 PM
How long does it take for a profile to update after upgrading?

How do I take advantage of my Gold Membership? (i.e., Custom Title (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/help/subfeatures.html) )

Is there a way for Moderators to post a thread at the top of a Forum section? This would be great if we could assemble all DIY info. for each particular model. (I notice the Triumph Spitfire Tech Wiki section severely lacking.)

Actually, the moment you subscribed you had the Gold permissions automatically. Unfortunately, the little gold star and "Gold Member" title are things I have to do manually and sometimes I forget to do that. I have added the star and title to your profile now, however and thanks very much for the support.

Regarding posting messages at the top of the forum, yes moderators have that capability, but if we started posting all the DIY posts, it would be hard, if not impossible, to manage. I would like to get folks a bit more active in updating the Wiki, but not sure the best way to go about doing that. Maybe we need a "Wiki-God" for each marque to prompt members to add stuff when they see good stuff posted in the forums.

JRC
04-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks Basil.

Actually I was just thinking about a (1) Thread at the top of each forum where Mods could move a DIY post/procedure as they found them. It would be completely Moderator controlled.

Johnny

JRC
04-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I am still at a loss as to where I find the capabilities listed for Gold Membership:

Where do I find Credits for Trading Post?
And how do I change my avatar Title?

Where is the Blog capability?

Anyone?

Basil
04-21-2010, 07:57 PM
I am still at a loss as to where I find the capabilities listed for Gold Membership:

Where do I find Credits for Trading Post?
And how do I change my avatar Title?

Where is the Blog capability?

Anyone?

Look under "My Stuff" then "Subscriptions" and when on the subscriptions page, click on any of the "Click for Details" links to see the differences in the subscription levels. One thing that isn't shown (I need to add it) is that if you are a Gold member or higher you can, if you want, have a blog hosted here. If you want a blog, all you need to do is PM me and I'll set it up for you.

Basil

dvr
12-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Just wondering if the forum has an archive of posts in each car category??? So we can search a topic without having to ask the same questions over and over.

Thanks,

Dan

Basil
12-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Just wondering if the forum has an archive of posts in each car category??? So we can search a topic without having to ask the same questions over and over.

Thanks,

Dan

If you go to advanced search, you can search the entire archive of posts going back 11 years. HOWEVER, while not asking the same question if it's already been asked sounds like a good idea - what would that do to forum activity? It would kill it. Also, when someone asks a question that has already been asked, some new person who wasn't here the first time may have some new spin on the answer that wasn't considered when the first thread was posted.

I encourage people to use the search feature, but at the sometime, having an on-going conversation about these cars is really what the forum is all about - that and making new friends.

Steppenwolf
03-18-2012, 07:46 AM
I'm using this password that was sent to me be the forum-bot.

The message said that my old password will still work but I would rather change it.

How do I do that?

I went to Edit Pref and see a bunch of ************** for my password. If that is indeed the password that I chose I will never remember what it might be.

Thanks

Steppenwolf
03-18-2012, 07:48 AM
And it looks like I posted in the wrong place....you can always tell a newbie....

Steppenwolf
03-18-2012, 07:54 AM
I typed something like: " production dates of BJ8's "

Up comes a page full of posts most are a big ? for " why are these posts coming up for that specific post "

Any suggestion for getting the search to be more specific?

Basil
03-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm using this password that was sent to me be the forum-bot.

The message said that my old password will still work but I would rather change it.

How do I do that?

I went to Edit Pref and see a bunch of ************** for my password. If that is indeed the password that I chose I will never remember what it might be.

Thanks

The ***** you see are masking your password for security reasons. You can highlight the password field (so all the **** are selected), then either delete the current password or just type over it to create a NEW password. Note that when you typo the new password in, you will see "*" in place of the characters you type. Again, this is for security purposes.

Steppenwolf
03-21-2012, 08:44 PM
I'll give it a try. I suppose the worst that can happen is that I will have to write for another temp password/

Thanks

Basil
03-21-2012, 09:03 PM
I'll give it a try. I suppose the worst that can happen is that I will have to write for another temp password/

Thanks

When you type in the new password, you will also see all ****** when you save it. Let us know if it works. (It should)

Steppenwolf
03-22-2012, 03:52 PM
I just tried signing into the forum from another computer with this temp password and it did not work. I sent for another temp; copied and pasted it in along with my user name. Same error message.

Now that I think about it I wonder if I joined on one computer and get locked out of the other. I didn't think that I originally forgot my password.

Do I still try this process of going to preferences and changing the password?

Basil
03-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Type in your password, don't copy and paste. What computer you're on should not matter one bit.

GBT
08-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi Basil,
The MG forum is no longer available to me or on the forum list when I open it. Did I do something wrong or is the forum shut down or ??? Thanks for your help...

weewillie
10-05-2012, 09:09 PM
where did the quote, reply etc go on the pub?

JPSmit
10-05-2012, 09:35 PM

I'm wondering too. Glad I'm not the only one Willie. All the others re fine, maybe it got stuck at Canadian Customs? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

weewillie
10-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Ah! good call may be checking it for turkey and stuffing

funny thing is Steve was able to post 25 mins ago and 2 mins ago. of course he is a mod :yesnod:

PAUL161
10-06-2012, 06:37 AM

I'm wondering too. Glad I'm not the only one Willie. All the others re fine, maybe it got stuck at Canadian Customs? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

That's just what I jumped in here for! Where's the pub? Can't lock out the pub! If the PUB is closed, I'll just have to go to the BAR! :jester:

Mickey Richaud
10-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Just posted a "Sticky" - Stay tuned!

weewillie
10-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Mickey, you should stop getting your "sticky's"from the dollar store as it didn't stick :wink:

Mickey Richaud
10-07-2012, 04:41 AM
:lol:

Took it down when the problem was resolved.

Things get sticky enough 'round here...

PAUL161
10-07-2012, 04:57 AM
Funny isn't it, that we don't realize how important just one segment of this site is to us until it's down. Something to think about. PJ

JerryVV
11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
I cannot seem to get the new Forum to work on my Home computer. I run IE 9 and I keep getting a message that the link is broken even when I copy it from my work computer exactly as it shows in the address bar. I can get the home page to show sometimes but when I click on the Triumph section is pops up a message that the link is broken. I sometimes get the message from Basil to click here via an arrow at the bottom of the page but again when I do that it just pops up broken.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
JVV

JPSmit
12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Next question, subscriptions. I have subscribed to a number of forums. Each of them now has a black "minus" to unsubscribe so I know I have subscribed. However, when I go to quick links and to subscribed threads it says the folder is currently empty. Any ideas? Am I looking in the wrong place? thanks!

Basil
12-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Next question, subscriptions. I have subscribed to a number of forums. Each of them now has a black "minus" to unsubscribe so I know I have subscribed. However, when I go to quick links and to subscribed threads it says the folder is currently empty. Any ideas? Am I looking in the wrong place? thanks!

I am trying to figure that out myself and will report back once I have. So far it seems if you subscribe to an individual thread, you will see those subscriptions in your subscription folder. Also, you can go to your profile page (just click on your name to go there) and click the "subscriptions" tab. But you manage subscriptions from the settings>> subscriptions area. (YOu can even create different folders to organize your subscribed threads). But as for subscribing to an entire forum, if you select to be notified by email, it will send you an email when a NEW thread is posted (not for every reply/post or your inbox would fill up fast). But why the forum subscriptions don't show up in the subscriptions folder, I'm still trying to find an answer.

JPSmit
12-01-2012, 10:02 PM
I am trying to figure that out myself and will report back once I have. So far it seems if you subscribe to an individual thread, you will see those subscriptions in your subscription folder. Also, you can go to your profile page (just click on your name to go there) and click the "subscriptions" tab. But you manage subscriptions from the settings>> subscriptions area. (YOu can even create different folders to organize your subscribed threads). But as for subscribing to an entire forum, if you select to be notified by email, it will send you an email when a NEW thread is posted (not for every reply/post or your inbox would fill up fast). But why the forum subscriptions don't show up in the subscriptions folder, I'm still trying to find an answer.

No worries. thanks boss!

Linda
03-11-2013, 10:29 AM
So far so good but even with a search I can't seem to locate the change password button.
Anyone?
Thanks in advance and Basil keep up the great work :)
Linda

Huggy
08-16-2013, 04:18 PM

What kind of OS are you using. I have a program that runs on the older ops ie; xp and Vista. It was and still is my favorite photo editor. No bugs, just a factory disc. It's PHOTO DELUXE. You can totally edit a photo, and make them better than original. I just rejoined yesterday after 3 MGB's 72/76/79, prior member of the Columbia SC Midlands Club. Let me know if you would like to use it. I might be able to copy as digital.

princetn1
02-06-2016, 11:31 PM
Probably simple but how do I set up an avatar (non animated) of my car??

princetn1
02-06-2016, 11:46 PM
Probably simple but how do I set up an avatar (non animated) of my car??

Never you mind...watching a tutorial proves useful. Should have done that before posting "I am stupid, help me."

Basil
02-07-2016, 12:53 AM
Never you mind...watching a tutorial proves useful. Should have done that before posting "I am stupid, help me."

Not Stupid. Its not entirely obvious that those video tutorials exist.