PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Cars? I Don't Think So!

PAUL161
01-19-2008, 01:34 PM
This might make you think twice before putting a member of your family in one.
https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/PJ161/Odd%20Photos/CRASH2.jpg

Billm
01-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Maybe so but I don't think my Sprite would have faired much better (unless it just went UNDER the truck!)
Bill

tony barnhill
01-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Head-on like that at the combined speed they must've been traveling - I don't think size would've mattered!

Stewart
01-19-2008, 02:05 PM
That looks fatal unless you were in the very back of a suburban and even then your not going to walk away from it.

sideache
01-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Sorry for the skepticism, but that almost looks like a photoshopped image. i only say this because of the location - it's looks to be in a parking lot rather than a hwy which would allow one to get to the speeds to cause that much damage.

PAUL161
01-19-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't know for sure, but it looks like one of those "Wii" cars. Super sub compact.

AweMan
01-19-2008, 04:03 PM
I don`t think there are many cars out there that could stand an assult by a Tractor/Trailer rig and the occupants of the car come out unscathed. Especialy if the trailer is loaded. However I do agree that the smaller the car is the less your chances are.

01-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I dunno - it seems pretty good to me - look at the mess it made of the tractor trailer. Look at the angle of the wheel.

I reckon I'm as safe in there as in a regular compact, if not more so.

Sherlock
01-20-2008, 02:52 AM
If I had the money I would purchase a Smart Car, especially as much of my vehicle travel is inner city (where I live), but I would probably only own it as a second car.

Apparently the Smart Car is capable of highway speeds, but I'm not sure I'd use it for that.

GregW
01-20-2008, 03:46 AM
If anyone is worried about being run over in a Smart car, consider this... "improved" Smart car (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDU5BU_qSJU)

racingenglishcars
01-20-2008, 10:18 AM
There are several well known videos concerning the Smart car. They're pretty stiff in an accident.
here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s)
here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02eghIfyHP0)
and here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnVNUvixWUQ)
I don't know what that thing is in the picture above, but it's not a Smart. And when it comes to small cars vs big trucks, in 1959 Road and Track magazine showed on their "PS" page:
"Though it's true that a chicken egg will crush a robbin's egg, an ostrich egg will do them both in." followed by a photo of a 59 cadillac being totally destroyed by a semi.

vagt6
01-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Smart cars are everywhere you look in western europe, I really like them.

Smart sells convertibles, 2-door and 4-door versions over there. Not sure if we'll get all the versions here.

In Paris, where parking is non-existant, Smart cars could fit in spaces that only a motorcycle would go. Nice looking, comfy interior, and of course, excellent fuel economy.

I wish I could invest in a Smart dealership. I'll bet they'll sell like hotcakes over here.

I like. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

WhatsThatNoise
01-20-2008, 11:06 AM
What ya for safety is to be driving a train...

Probably the top of the food chain so far as transportation devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG68_rWjT3I&feature=related

rick_ingram
01-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Sorry for the skepticism, but that almost looks like a photoshopped image. i only say this because of the location - it's looks to be in a parking lot rather than a hwy which would allow one to get to the speeds to cause that much damage.

I do not believe it to be photoshopped...I received an e-mail with this and other related photos from different angles attached a couple of weeks ago. Not a pretty site.

PAUL161
01-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I guess that usins in the back woods aren't very up on things in the real world but, this is a photo of what is called a "SMART" CAR? I think I'll just keep driving the "Dumb" ones! https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/PJ161/A-Icons/rolleye0012.gif

bugimike
01-20-2008, 02:34 PM
The question I had with that pic is, what was that car doing so far over, directly in front of the truck which seems to be on the correct side of the pavement? I don't care how stout/safe the vehicles, the best safety device has to be the gray matter in the drivers head!! It looks like absolutely no avoidance action was taken by either vehicle in that pic. for them to hit each other so squarely!

Sherlock
01-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Smart Cars have sold like hot cakes here in Canada (I think we've had them for three or four years now?)

I even see lots of them cruising around in the winter weather here, so they seem to be able to handle snow basically okay. We only got the two-door closed roof and the two-door convertible so I suspect that's what you folks down in the States will get.

HandyAndy
01-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Don't give up yet. You are going to like this. Hope you are able to read it.

https://www.livevideo.com/media/playvideo_fs.aspx?fs=1&cid=F4B5854611D141AFA19359F36DCDC74F

Shinsen774
01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
A Smart Car sold on Barrett-Jackson today towards the end.

AngliaGT
01-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Andy,

Funny! "Trabant,a subsidary of GM".
"Quality built since...well - never"

- Doug

racingenglishcars
01-21-2008, 03:49 AM
German quality
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

bugimike
01-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Basic tools...infinite adjustability /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif LOVE the sound of that idle at the end!!!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

PAUL161
01-21-2008, 08:59 AM
It's amazing that the two major tools in the factory seem to be a hammer and his foot! Oh yeah, and a block of wood. https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/PJ161/A-Icons/sign0191.gif

aerog
01-21-2008, 09:52 AM
FWIW, I read an article this morning that says Daimler claims they've never been able to make a profit on the SMART car line. Introduction to the USA will (on paper anyway) raise their number of sales, but up until now their numbers have been in decline. In an earlier article someone said something like 'everybody loves it', I guess that contention isn't quite right.

Somehow SMART USA is getting their name in the papers quite a bit, but even USA Today printed an interesting point: a Honda Civic averages only 4mpg less than the SMART and offers a lot more at only slightly more $$.

racingenglishcars
01-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Honda is perticularly expensive here in Denmark. probably due to shipping.

wkilleffer
01-23-2008, 04:11 PM

I do not believe it to be photoshopped...I received an e-mail with this and other related photos from different angles attached a couple of weeks ago. Not a pretty site.

Yes, some of the pics served as a rather gruesome reminder of how dangerous driving can be. Seems the car driver might have been traveling at high speed and lost control of the car, but I can't remember.