PDA

View Full Version : Just not my day

drooartz
01-16-2008, 07:53 PM
So here was my day:

-3*F out this morning, car won't start. I knew the battery was going, and it prove me right. Hooked up the charger/booster and got the car to fire up after a lot of cranking in the reeeeeeely cold. Did I mention it was cold?

Headed down canyon to my meeting (40 miles away). Didn't notice/remember where the speed limit dropped from 60 to 50. Yup, your friendly neighborhood patrol car sitting right there. Pleasant/professional officer, but an $80 ticket none the less (I never get warnings, always a ticket). I should get an award, since I drive a Hyundai Accent with an auto. Maybe Hyundai will hire me as a spokesman -- "yes, you can indeed break the speed limit in one of our cars, and I've got proof."

Good meeting, on the way home the window wash ran out -- with lots of spray from the road. Squinted through the few clear spots on the windshield.

Got home (11*F now, a heat wave), pulled the battery. Broke off the bolt on the battery hold down clamp. Took battery to parts store #1 (major chain), computer says they don't have one in stock. Took battery to #2 (small store, with folks who can use a wrench, should have been my first choice). Nothing in their computer either, so they just measured the battery and found me one that fits. Finally a break (though a $70 one).

Came home, tried to drill out the broken bolt, no bit I have will do more than dent it. Battery fits at least. Will have to take it somewhere with better bits.

Whaddaday!

I realize full well that in the larger scope of things, these are all minor annoying events, but that really doesn't help my demeanor. Time for some CAB and quesadillas!

BIBBER
01-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey Drew..look at the bright side...could've been a BAD meeting!!

AngliaGT
01-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Drew,

Just remember..... someday you'll look back,
& laugh at this.

- Doug

Banjo
01-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Enjoy yer quesadillas mate.
tomorrow will be better.
Those sub zeros are headed my way.
Brrrrrrrr

Patrick67BJ8
01-16-2008, 10:02 PM
So here was my day:

-3*F out this morning, car won't start. I knew the battery was going, and it prove me right. Hooked up the charger/booster and got the car to fire up after a lot of cranking in the reeeeeeely cold. Did I mention it was cold?

Headed down canyon to my meeting (40 miles away). Didn't notice/remember where the speed limit dropped from 60 to 50. Yup, your friendly neighborhood patrol car sitting right there. Pleasant/professional officer, but an $80 ticket none the less (I never get warnings, always a ticket). I should get an award, since I drive a Hyundai Accent with an auto. Maybe Hyundai will hire me as a spokesman -- "yes, you can indeed break the speed limit in one of our cars, and I've got proof."

Good meeting, on the way home the window wash ran out -- with lots of spray from the road. Squinted through the few clear spots on the windshield.

Got home (11*F now, a heat wave), pulled the battery. Broke off the bolt on the battery hold down clamp. Took battery to parts store #1 (major chain), computer says they don't have one in stock. Took battery to #2 (small store, with folks who can use a wrench, should have been my first choice). Nothing in their computer either, so they just measured the battery and found me one that fits. Finally a break (though a $70 one).

Came home, tried to drill out the broken bolt, no bit I have will do more than dent it. Battery fits at least. Will have to take it somewhere with better bits.

Whaddaday!

I realize full well that in the larger scope of things, these are all minor annoying events, but that really doesn't help my demeanor. Time for some CAB and quesadillas!

You might not believe this, but I used to have to drive my Healey in those temperatures!! I had all sorts of tricks to get her fired up. It did help that I spent 3 summer seasons in Antarctica while I was in the Navy and learned a few tricks. I can't recall if my ether mileage was better than my gas mileage. Glad someone never rear-ended me with that case of ether in the trunk!!

pa297pass
01-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your day Drew.

Enjoy your evening and I hope tomorrow is better (or at least warmer!)

Matt

drooartz
01-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks, folks. The initial annoyance has passed, as such things do.

Patrick, Kudos to you for driving your Healey in that sort of cold. I had a '76 Land Cruiser for a couple years, and it hated the cold. Never had to resort to the ether, though.

DNK
01-17-2008, 12:39 AM
I broke a nail

jsneddon
01-17-2008, 07:09 PM
You might not believe this, but I used to have to drive my Healey in those temperatures!! I had all sorts of tricks to get her fired up. It did help that I spent 3 summer seasons in Antarctica while I was in the Navy and learned a few tricks. I can't recall if my ether mileage was better than my gas mileage. Glad someone never rear-ended me with that case of ether in the trunk!!

Drove my TR3 year round for a couple of years in the midwest without a top.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF ETHER ON A CRISP WINTER MORNING !!!!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

AweMan
01-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Drew:
If you frequent Wendover or have any acquaintenece that do, be aware, Tooele County just put on a bunch of new troopers to patrol I 80 for speeders. {It`s awful tempting to put the pedal NOT to the middle out there but ON THE FLOOR}. Pretty boring 100 miles. Sorry to hear about your day. Sounds like one of mine, more often than not.

drooartz
01-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Kerry -- fastest I ever went in a car (as a passenger) was on that road in my then-girlfriend's Mustang GT. Looked over at her speedo and saw 110. Hadn't even felt fast before that.

I'm just one of those folks with bad cop karma, so no speeding for me. Sold my previous motorcycle because it was really too fast. Next one will be better at going slow.

Life is much better now, that was just one of those days. Felt good to vent to y'all, though. Thanks!

equiprx
01-18-2008, 11:33 AM
I just got my courtesy notice for 59 mph in a 35 and the bail is $314. This has got to be wrong.

01-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Yeah - it sounds too low. Why go that fast in an urban area?

(Lest you think I'm totally anti-speeding, if you'd got popped for 89 in a 65 limit I'd have a *lot* more sympathy. It's probably 35 for a reason).

racingenglishcars
01-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I just looked up on the net here in Denmark (https://www.sikkertrafik.dk/4ba80029) where I can calculate the speeding ticket for 59 mph (95 kmh) in a 35 mph (55 kmh) zone.

Try it. If you can't read the Danish, it says Suspended license and a fine of 3000 kr ($600). If it's outside of town, it costs 4000 kr ($800)

When the license is suspended, you have to take the short drivers school (1500 kr, $300) and take the tests again (100 kr) but if you fail the test (yeah, they cheat with stupid questions) they keep your license until you take the whole school (3000 kr) and take the full test (500 kr)

Danish driving rules /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Stewart
01-18-2008, 05:02 PM
I just got my courtesy notice for 59 mph in a 35 and the bail is $314. This has got to be wrong.

Sounds about right for california