PDA

View Full Version : Firefox

Basil
01-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Been playing around with Firefox lately and am starting to like it. One big difference I just discovered by accident is in how over-sized images in a post are treated compared to Explorer. In IE6, when I view a thread in which someone has posted an image that is wider than the recommended 600 pixels, it will cause the entire thread to go wide. So to read any other posts in the thread, you have to scroll the entire page to the right. Also the boxes on the right (if you have them turned on) end up off teh screen and you have to scroll right to see them as well. However, with Firefox, the overall width of the thread stays the same and only the individual post with the over-sized image has a scroll bar in it so you have to scroll right to see the entire image - but the rest of the page is the normal width.

I also am liking the use of TABS to allow you to have multiple web sites open and to switch between them via clicking the tabs. I'm starting to like FF and may start using it as my default browser. I have found howewver that there are certain administrative tasks on the forum that work better with IE6.

racingenglishcars
01-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Can you link to an example of the oversized window?

I have also gone over to Firefox on all my computers. Mostly because of virus problems on one of my portable computers, but also I'm restricted to an older iexplorer at the office due to configuration questions (something with different parallel java installations needed for some programming software). With Firefox I can use "attachments". And lately when I run unigraphics, the iexplorer doesn't even open.

I like the tabs also but sometimes forget and try to close the program instead of a tab.

Also I'm getting spelling control with the Firefox. Something that has been missing on this forum in the past.

AND NOW I've finally reached 1000 posts /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

aerog
01-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Don't forget all the decent add-ons available for Firefox. The ad-blocker one is fantastic, as is the one that stops videos from playing automatically.

piman
01-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Hello all,

the same with me, I only ever use internet explorer when a (rare) website only works correctly with Internet Explorer.

Firefox for me every time.

Alec

jsneddon
01-16-2008, 12:14 PM
AND you can have multiple 'home' pages open up in tabs when you start it up - been using it for years and have no desire to go back.

Nunyas
01-16-2008, 12:20 PM
I love my 'gmail notifier' in my Firefox at the office /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif logs me into gmail and notifies me when I get new emails. Then with 1 click of a button I can open my gmail inbox to see all the beautiful spam i've gotten! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I'm stuck using IE6 for certain office things like time card entry. Seems them lazy folks at Ess Aye Pea aren't too privy on current trends in browser tech. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonod.gif

DrEntropy
01-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Rob, tell 'em they need to get up to speed with Web 2.0!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Been playing around with Firefox lately and am starting to like it.

WOO-HOO!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

jlaird
01-16-2008, 02:13 PM
I use IE and Cox as a provider. I get no popups, no spam, no virus's and no malaware or trogans. Have not changed email address in over 8 years.

Cox has security stuff and I have it all turned on.

Also have Ad-aware free and AGV free but AGV never finds anything to remove. Oh yea firewall as well.

01-16-2008, 02:59 PM
I use Mozilla Firefox here on my laptop with Windows XP Pro and love it. However, my new desktop has Windows Vista and it won't let me use Firefox. Anybody know a trick to fix this, short of blanking the hard-drive and installing XP?

1965_MGB
01-16-2008, 03:04 PM
I've been using FF for some time now. I especially like the ad block add on, and some others. I now find it much easier to use than ie.

SilentUnicorn
01-16-2008, 03:21 PM
TR6BILL

Fire Fox works with Vista. You need to be above 2.0 ithink. Anyhow the latest release should work. I use it on my Vista laptop.

mark

DrEntropy
01-16-2008, 05:32 PM
I've shoveled it onto quite a few "Vista Enabled" machines.

Seems to work just fine.

Cent OS, anyone? With SeaMonkey? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Nunyas
01-16-2008, 05:47 PM
yeah... I've been using FF on Vista at home for quite some time... Never had any problems with installing it... then again, I always run the latest released version of FF...

Basil
01-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Can you link to an example of the oversized window?

Check the "Old MG Found in Picture" post in tgis forum. Its oversized on my screen resolution at least.

Bugeye58
01-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I initially read this on IE7, and went back and looked at the FF version. I like the feature of having only the original post expanded, rather than the entire thread.
I just have to remember to use FF more.
Jeff

Basil
01-16-2008, 10:07 PM
I initially read this on IE7, and went back and looked at the FF version. I like the feature of having only the original post expanded, rather than the entire thread.
I just have to remember to use FF more.
Jeff

Also, while using FF try Ctrl+ and Ctrl- to change font size.

aerog
01-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Better yet, just hit CTRL and use the scroll wheel (if you have one). And, if you have a scroll-wheel with a button (or a center button I guess) you can use it to click on a link and the link will open in a new tab.

Bugeye58
01-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Shows how sharp <u>I</u> am, Scott. I never <u>knew</u> there was a button function on my scroll wheel! I do now. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif
I feel like I should be saying something along <u>these</u> lines:
"Why, when <span style="color: #FF0000">I</span> was a lad, I had to walk twenty miles through the snow to school, uphill both ways...................."
Jeff /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

DrEntropy
01-17-2008, 05:53 AM
mehheh. This is gettin' interesting.

Now we need to slide y'all into the idea of Linux, installed on "training wheels" boxes... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

racingenglishcars
01-17-2008, 03:39 PM
The banana doesn't dance in Ff. Anyone know why?

aerog
01-17-2008, 05:22 PM
It does on mine. Hmm

Bugeye58
01-17-2008, 06:19 PM

"Your banana don't dance, and your daddy don't rock and roll."
(It's dancing its peel off here on FF.)
Jeff

aerog
01-17-2008, 07:24 PM

Try this:

Access about:config (open firefox and type "about:config") and find image.animation_mode, which determines how to animate multi-frame GIF images. Reset the preference to the default setting, if necessary. Possible value are:

* none: animated images will never play.
* once: animated images will play once.
* normal (default): animated images will play as normal.

Note: to change the value of "image.animation_mode" just scroll down to it, then double-click on it. Type "normal" in the box. If it's already "normal" try typing it again to reset it.

If you're on a MAC it may not work anyway.

Sherlock
01-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Firefox for me all the way! I never use Internet Explorer except for the odd webpage that doesn't like Firefox

A couple of years ago, my sister's computer had lots of trouble even using the internet (Internet Explorer), so I suggested she install Firefox. Right from that install, her internet worked great with no trouble at all.

AweMan
01-18-2008, 12:24 AM
The Bannanna Dances up a storm on my F.F.
All I can say about I.E or O.E. is .... I havn`t used either one of em in years. And ......... darn glad I don`t have to!

PAUL161
01-18-2008, 05:15 AM
I use Flock! Based on the Fire Fox platform, it's backed by Photobucket. It works great in Vista with no issues I've found and works great when placing photos on the web. My wife loves it because it's so user friendly. We also use "Incredimail" for all of our email. https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/PJ161/A-Icons/party0005.gif

aerog
01-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Another addition to the browser thread... I downloaded and tried "Safari" for a week. What a complete piece of garbage that thing is! Maybe the "mac" version actually works ok, I don't know - but the PC version is such an overbloated, lousy looking disaster. Not sure why I gave it a week really.

PAUL161
01-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Ever tried the "Flock" browser Scott? It might not meet your needs, but it's worth a try. Very user friendly and they are constantly upgrading it. PJ

aerog
01-18-2008, 11:39 AM
I tried it when I was playing with photobucket, but I didn't keep it. They seem to be oriented toward integrating the browser with things like facebook, flickr, and youtube - none of which I really have any interest in. The guts of Flock is based on FF though.

I put Opera on the laptop for awhile too but couldn't get into it.

aerog
01-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Firefox difficulty: I've had a problem pop up a couple of times that might interest firefox devotees (they might discuss it on the Mozilla forum too but I haven't bothered looking). I've had my firefox "profiles" get wiped a couple of times after a system crash. It seems that, if FF is running and you experience a BSOD or a major crash for some reason, the FF profiles can get corrupted or wiped out. That means you lose bookmarks, passwords, and add-ons - sometimes. I think only one file really gets wiped out, but you either have to recreate that file or start over.

So... I make a habit of backing up my firefox profiles occasionally. They're usually located in C:\Documents and Settings\&lt;your windows name&gt;\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

In theory this "problem" would crop up in Flock or any other FF-derived browser, AND Thunderbird.