PDA

View Full Version : Another step back(ward).

DrEntropy
01-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Just got the "old" server back on line. Cleaned out a niche under SWMBO's newly installed desk and sniped a KVM port.

Ol' "Badger" fired right up! ALMOST as rugged and reliable as a forty-year-old LBC. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

RedHat 9.0 and SeaMonkey 1.1.1 for a browser. He's a bit dozy but still kickin'!! YAY!!

jsneddon
01-14-2008, 05:12 PM
LOL

I was cleaning out the "attic" in the "office" (what used 2 be my garage) the other day to make some room for a new 'beer fridge' and found my TRS80 Model 100 Laptop.

swiped some AA's from my camera bag and blink blink....

(c)1981 - Microsoft Corporation

Blink....

https://www.trs-80emulators.com/img/m100_screen.gif

Not exactly Y2K compatible but god I love the keyboard on that machine. Wish I could have those keys on my Dell but I think it might just void the lease. Usedtabe that these old laptops were forward-compatible because of a standard RS232 serial port. Now it's all USB. Old Noritsu machines used to come with a serial cable in every install to hook up the scanner that nobody bought. I've got like 50 of them in a box. And me without a serial port any more.

Old Cars, Old Hardware, something is definitely off-kilter with our nostalgia-chips

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Wanna borrow my RedHat 2.0 CD and really get all retro on us Doc ??? I've got a copy of Word 5.0 on 5 1/4 floppies too if you want em

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

NutmegCT
01-14-2008, 05:30 PM
or you could use my WordStar 1.0 on the Osborne I I've got tucked away.

Those were the days ...piffing a file to the destination disk from the origin disk.

something like a:>pif b:myfile a: (or thereabouts ...)

And sliding an 80 column "page" from side to side on a 40 column screen.

And feeling the heat from the full height 5.25 inch floppy drives.

Them wuz the days.

Tom
PS - I still miss my TRS Model 100!

DNK
01-14-2008, 05:47 PM
<span style='font-size: 26pt'>ALERT</span>Thread Hijack Attempt <span style='font-size: 26pt'>ALERT</span>

Seems to me this is where I have the correct audience to ask this question.

Is it possible on a Windows machine to set "refresh" on an automatic schedule?

I have the forum up in the back ground and would be nice to see post pop up automatically without have to refresh the screen.

DrEntropy
01-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Would be a browser function. What're you usin' for that, Don?

DNK
01-14-2008, 05:52 PM
FF

DrEntropy
01-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Glad of THAT, at least. I had a FireFox info page bookmarked a while back, can't find it on poor ol' Badger here, but I'll leave the comfort of this nice warm, PADDED office chair an' brave the chill and damp of the garage, A HARD old stool and suchlike in a minute to see if Badger-II has it bookmarked in FF. ISTR a "feature" for an auto refresh but not sure about a notification....

...th' things I'll DO for a fellow BCF'er.

*sheesh* /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

EDIT: Okay, I'm now (brrrr) on th' GPU...

DNK
01-14-2008, 06:04 PM
but I'll leave the comfort of this nice PADDED ofice chair an' brave the chill and damp of the garage, A HARD old stool and suchlike in a minute to see if Badger-II has it bookmarked in FF.

36 and rainy here. Take more than that for me to go to the garage.
Thanks Doc!

DrEntropy
01-14-2008, 06:06 PM
https://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/091107-undocumented-firefox.html?page=1

Google "undocumented FireFox". Keep the quotes.

Steve_S
01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I used an Osbourne II portable, which I lovingly referred to as "luggable".

My first computer-ish device was a Casio FX700P with 1.5k of ram and programmable in a very basic basic.

DNK
01-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks Doc, the article didn't have that per se,but it did have a lot of other neat tricks.
Googled auto reload with firefox and got the answer.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/115
Thanks again

DrEntropy
01-14-2008, 06:22 PM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

DrEntropy
01-14-2008, 06:26 PM
but I'll leave the comfort of this nice PADDED ofice chair an' brave the chill and damp of the garage, A HARD old stool and suchlike in a minute to see if Badger-II has it bookmarked in FF.

36 and rainy here. Take more than that for me to go to the garage.
Thanks Doc!

I generally LIVE here anyhoo. No real hardship involved. CAB locker's within reach, temps are high 60's, I can off-gas at will... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

JamesWilson
01-15-2008, 04:46 AM
I think I'll go have an Adventure (https://www.rickadams.org/adventure/e_downloads.html) on my old computer...

Say goodbye to a couple hours... maybe even the whole day. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/computer.gif

NutmegCT
01-15-2008, 08:30 AM
I have the forum up in the back ground and would be nice to see post pop up automatically without have to refresh the screen.

Question: now that you've got the automatic refresh, do you still have to click on the FF window to see it? Or does it pop to the front whenever it's been refreshed?

The auto refresh sounds good, but if it keeps popping up to the front whenever it's refreshed, it could be a bit of a pain ....

Tom

DrEntropy
01-16-2008, 06:25 AM
LOL

I was cleaning out the "attic" in the "office" (what used 2 be my garage) the other day to make some room for a new 'beer fridge' and found my TRS80 Model 100 Laptop.

swiped some AA's from my camera bag and blink blink....

(c)1981 - Microsoft Corporation

Blink....

https://www.trs-80emulators.com/img/m100_screen.gif

Not exactly Y2K compatible but god I love the keyboard on that machine. Wish I could have those keys on my Dell but I think it might just void the lease. Usedtabe that these old laptops were forward-compatible because of a standard RS232 serial port. Now it's all USB. Old Noritsu machines used to come with a serial cable in every install to hook up the scanner that nobody bought. I've got like 50 of them in a box. And me without a serial port any more.

Old Cars, Old Hardware, something is definitely off-kilter with our nostalgia-chips

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Wanna borrow my RedHat 2.0 CD and really get all retro on us Doc ??? I've got a copy of Word 5.0 on 5 1/4 floppies too if you want em

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Did RH 2.0 even COME on a CD, Jim?!?!

I've a couple 5-1/4 floppies with CPM-80, DOS 2.11, WordStar... Mebbe we could stock that beer locker once if we E-bay these "artifacts"? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

vagt6
01-16-2008, 07:46 AM
If only we could take a time machine back to 1981 simply to purchase a wee bit of Microsoft stock . . . /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Nunyas
01-16-2008, 12:36 PM
I've got a copy of Word Perfect for Linux sitting around somewhere... I'm sure it'll still run on a Linux box... prolly not a new one though /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

tony barnhill
01-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Anybody want one of the old Apples signed by "Woz" or whoever he was? Full memory with software!

wkilleffer
01-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Hey Tony, if memory serves that computer was the Apple IIGS. Back when it came out, it was a pretty hot little machine and could do graphics that the other companies could only dream about.

Now, as far as collector value goes, I'm not sure that there really is all that much cause many of the signatures were reproductions rather than the real deal.

Woz was Steve Wozniak, one of the co-founders of Apple. He worked for Hewlett-Packard when the first Apple was developed. Since he might have done some of the work on company time, he and Steve Jobs had to give HP the right of first refusal before they could market it independently. HP passed on it, and the rest was computing history...

I get nostalgic for older Apple hardware cause it was so much a part of my childhood. My elementary school had several Apple IIes and their Franklin equivalents, and when I was 10, Dad brought home a brand-new Apple IIc that he used to write his dissertation. We were allowed to do homework and play games when he wasn't using it. We used that computer regularly into the mid-1990s, and then it was very hard to find computers at school that would support its disks. I still have it, and it still works. We had to replace its factory monitor with a Magnavox that's still very much operational. My wife's always after me to chuck it or put it on ebay, but I can't part with it yet.