PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 seat rebuilding with foam.



PeterK
01-14-2008, 12:18 PM
I didn't document everything when I did the seats last winter but hope this helps those that are thinking of doing the same.

It's a real snowy day today, expecting well over a foot by tomorrow morning, so I dug my old html coding skills out and took a shot at an online doc.

I've used a program call Opti-Pix Pro that came with a digital picture frame (bought as a Christmas present for my outlaws) to resize and compress the images. It is drag and drop and works pretty well.

On the following page, click each image for a larger size.
https://mysite.verizon.net/kentech0822/triumph/tr3seats/

sail
01-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Looks good, I like the switchs. I started painting the frames on mine before I cover them. You have me thinking I may go home and order a heater kit even though electronics have a way to go before I suck more juice.
Snow is good if your a packer fan.

Tinkerman
01-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Peter, just a heads up to let you know I just sent you a PM.
Regards, Tinkerman

mrv8q
01-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Nicely done, Peter, both the car and web site. Who was the source of your leather steering wheel cover? Seeing yours, I have to go that route!

PeterK
01-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks Kevin,

I started with a cover from wheelskins that was the correct diameter but for a fatter wheel. The original edges of the cover were folded over and punched for threading.

I measured the circumference of the TR3 wheel, accounted for the fold, and slit the cover all around one side to fit the TR3 wheel. I then used contact cement on the cut edge, then folded over to glue the edge to match the other side fold. I used a rotary leather punch (like a paper punch with several punch sizes) and punched matching holes. It didn't take very long to modify really.

Lacing took a while and I used the waxed thread and two needles included with the cover.

From what I've heard, you can call wheelskins and they will make you a proper cover. Worth a call.

Mine cost around $35.

Since then, I recovered the door tops with new foam, cover, and a slight pebble grain that matched the dash. I made up new door panels from masonite, 1/4" foam, and vinyl I ordered to match the seat grain, also new door pockets.

It's a nice cabin to drive from.