PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Coating for Header

danstr6
12-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I am planning on purchasing a header for my TR6 soon. I have read that ceramic coating is the optimal way to go. Would like to know your thoughts, pros and cons. Also, where would be the best place to get one coated? Thanks.

kodanja
12-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Dont powder coat it in yer oven!!!! LOL

12-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Had mine Jet Hotted.
Seems to work - it's not rusty yet...

DrEntropy
12-28-2007, 04:29 PM
I'll pap up and agree with JetHot as the guys.

DougF
12-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Pros are it will look better, last longer and run cooler.
Con is it is more money thrown at the Triumph that could have been used toward her new kitchen or cruise.

Bugeye58
12-28-2007, 07:23 PM
I've used both JetHot and HPC with great success,
Jeff

MadMarx
12-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Ever thought about that the coated tubes will get too hot and die earlier? Several friends with coated or isolated headers had holes after 2 or 3 years of use. At the bended parts the steel fails from the overheating.

My header is made from AISI 304L inox steel. It doesn't rust. It turns a little blue after a while.

I never would coat a header that is in a sports or race car.

davidk
12-28-2007, 10:00 PM
I had this header done with ceramic coating by my local powder coater for about $60 (then decided not to use it). He also did a grey coating on my exhaust manifold.

Bugeye58
12-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Ever thought about that the coated tubes will get too hot and die earlier? Several friends with coated or isolated headers had holes after 2 or 3 years of use. At the bended parts the steel fails from the overheating.

My header is made from AISI 304L inox steel. It doesn't rust. It turns a little blue after a while.

I guess those of us that have been using them for 15 years or so without problems should count ourselves among the fortunate then.
Jeff

2wrench
12-28-2007, 10:09 PM
I had this header done with ceramic coating by my local powder coater for about $60 (then decided not to use it). He also did a grey coating on my exhaust manifold.

Looks really nice in the picture; but, looks like it's
gonna drag on the ground. I know, I know, it won't....
it just looks that way.

StagByTriumph
12-28-2007, 10:44 PM

I guess those of us that have been using them for 15 years or so without problems should count ourselves among the fortunate then.
Jeff

Unfortunately, I had a similar experience Jeff with at least 4 sets of headers.

After about 50k miles in 4 years (I actually drive my LBC), including a lot of hard driving up and through the Rocky Mountains, my headers that were both flow coated and ceramic coated, blew through. I took them back to the coater and got a full reimbursement on the coating costs.
Note that the coating warranty usually exclude racing applications.

Sure, if I don't drive my car except on and off a trailer, and maybe a few hundred miles a year to stay under your insurance quota, coated headers will last many years and maintain a bright luster.

So I guess the question is, in your experience, how many miles do you drive in those 15 years, and what is your definition of "using them"??

Bugeye58
12-28-2007, 11:11 PM
I should have clarified my post to stress the race car part. I've no experience with a street car application. Sorry for the confusion.
Jeff

DrEntropy
12-28-2007, 11:35 PM
A lean mix at 3~3.5K RPM will burn thru SHUTTLE TILE given time.

Dave Russell
12-29-2007, 01:07 AM
A lean mix at 3~3.5K RPM will burn thru SHUTTLE TILE given time.
As will retarded timing.
D

Brosky
12-29-2007, 04:47 AM
No need to worry as the pistons or valves usually go first.