PDA

View Full Version : TR6 May a TR6 engine be installed with manifolds on?

Norton47
12-28-2007, 09:29 AM
I am wondering if the engine and transmission can be installed with the exhaust and intake manifolds on?
The Bently's have you take them off before removing the engine. So the reverse for installing would be to install manifolds after placing the engine/trans in the car.
Would seem easier to install them before.
Has anyone done that? I rather find out you cannot or can before I try.
Thanks

LastDeadLast
12-28-2007, 09:59 AM
I installed my engine with gearbox and header/intake installed. It was a tight fit, but it went!

DougF
12-28-2007, 10:04 AM
It is easy to install them with the engine in the car. The carbs limit accessibility to the motor mounts and trans/motor fasteners. I like to keep as many auxillary items off while installing the engine to allow for good visibility and less things to damage paint.
Getting the engine into position can often be the perverbial bull in the china shop.
It is also easier to install the transmission and engine together.

12-28-2007, 06:46 PM
The answer is yes but be prepared to do some touch-up on your paint inside the engine compartment. Also, make sure that your lift, if you are using hydraulic, has the ability to lower in a controlled fashion. Some lifts, even the better ones, have a tendency to want to "drop" way too fast. Also, you will need a good tilt device on the lift because the engine/tranny requires a pretty extreme tilt to slide in place. The hoist has to have the ability to roll as well. I found that removing the front wheels and lowering the front of the car more than the rear helps. I got it down to where the sway bar is almost on the ground. If your inside paint is show quality, consider removing the starter, intake and exhaust. Otherwise, go slow and have a helper to guide the whole thing. It's doable, just a little nerve racking.

RomanH
12-28-2007, 06:50 PM
I installed mine with the intake, exhaust manifold, starter, transmission and alternator installed. I left the carbs off and all went together well. I did have help which is always good when doing this job.