PDA

View Full Version : Carpet on firewall install question

Norton47
12-26-2007, 07:29 PM
We got started on the carpet installation on the red car and have all ready come up with a question.
When fitting the piece to the firewall, this one seems to be numbered as piece 1,in various instructions, there are two captive nuts that the carpet lays over. Looks like the one on the right has a bolt that holds a clamp for the starter wire in the engine bay and the left nut is empty.
Does the carpet just lay over these or is do you make cut outs for the captive nuts so the carpet lays flat?
Thanks

2wrench
12-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Gotta see the pics. Carpet on the firewall??
Sounds cool. Would like to see it. Don't think
I have ever seen that, yet.

TheSearcherMan
12-27-2007, 09:27 AM
I can only talk about my 1976 TR6. On the drivers side, negative cable from battery has a clamp with a bolt hole, crimped to the cable, for the left side captive nut. The bolts used in both these clamps are "unique", see popular TR6 parts cataloge, Volume 2, 346, they don't portrude very far thru captive nuts. The only cut out I remember in that piece of carpet was for the throttle shaft on drivers side. But, it's been over a year, and there is always a chance I could be wrong. Ask me a Norton question, it hasn't been so long.

Norton47
12-27-2007, 04:11 PM
TheSearcherman
How about an easy one, like whatcha got for a Norton.
We may have to move this over to the motorcycle forum.

12-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Not sure what you are talking about. The carpet in the front part of the footwells is snapped in so it doesn't matter what it goes over. The little pieces over the front of the tunnel just glue in.

Norton47
12-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Bill and others
This is the small carpet piece that goes on the firewall over the transmission tunnel. This is the piece that get cut for the throttle.
This photo shows the captive nut the carpet would lay over.
My question was do you just cover this nut up, which puts a lump under the carpet when glued down or make a cut out for it and glue everything down flat?
https://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd50/Norton47/Progress%202/P1010007.jpg
All the old carpets for this area were completely trashed so no pattern available.
Thanks

12-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Glue over it. It was never cut out to reveal that nut. There is a slit in the carpet to loop over the cable.

12-27-2007, 10:07 PM
By the way, you have an amazingly clean underneath area. The original red primer is in good shape. You might consider cleaning up the mount for your master cylinder and pedal box. It shows typical attack by brake fluid. Essentially every Triumph on this planet has this. A cleanup and de-ruster followed by a brushed overcoat of something like Rust-Encapsulator works well. Consider yourself lucky.

Norton47
12-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Bill
Thank you. However this is a friends car that I am helping on and they are paying me a small fee per hour. So some of the things I would like to do I can't.
However the White TR6 that I am posting progress reports on is mine and it also was pretty clean. It did have a few pin holes on the floor pan near the four hold bolts. I welded these up and POR-15ed the area. Here is a photo.
https://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd50/Norton47/My%20TR%20Interior/TRsinwork004.jpg