PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Got some Christmas Presents For The TR3 Engine

martx-5
12-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Just got off the phone with Ken Gillanders at British Frame & Engine. (https://www.britishframeandengine.com/) Boy, do I like talking with him. I went down a whole list of stuff that I thought I needed, and he just set me straight on what I did need, and what I didn't. I'll be sending him my cam and oil pump for work. The cam he will re-grind to what he calls a profile 149. Basically 282 deg with some more lift then stock. Some of the other parts I'm getting...

cam followers
shorter push rods (I'm milling the head 0.080"-0.090")
narrow belt conversion
full gasket set
6 blade water pump (I need a new pump anyway)
cam bearings
valve springs and retainers
ARP head stud set
thrust washers (1 std set, 1 +0.005" set)

The main and con rod bearings will wait until the crank is ground.

I'm excited about this, as it's the last major hurdle in this restoration. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif

Oh, BTW Ken's original TR, the one he's had since new...51 years...was in a parade, driven by someone else, and the fuel line broke right after the pump, sprayed on the distributor and set the car on fire! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cryin.gif They put it out, but Ken says it looks nasty. The bonnet will have to be repainted, and there is some wiring work etc. that needs to be done, but overall, he feels he will get it back in operation pretty soon.

TR3driver
12-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Boy, do I like talking with him.Yeah, Ken tells some great stories !<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]cam followers[/QUOTE]So, did you get hardened originals, or the sleeves to use the GT40 lifters ?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Oh, BTW Ken's original TR, the one he's had since new...51 years...was in a parade, driven by someone else, and the fuel line broke right after the pump, sprayed on the distributor and set the car on fire! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cryin.gif[/QUOTE]That's a shame ! Ken has a long and colorful history with "The Red Rocket"; including drag racing trophies.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] but overall, he feels he will get it back in operation pretty soon. [/QUOTE]Good to hear !

martx-5
12-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Hardened originals. He says that the others are really just for race applications, something I won't need. He says the original type he's selling now are top notch.

Edit: Oh, I also asked Ken about getting those two stuck head studs out. He said to soak them in Kroil. Be patient he said. It might take a week or two, but the stuff will get down there. Well, I've been soaking these studs since last week with PB Blaster. Ken said to use a pipe wrench on them. Time for the pipe wrench. I've got a nice sized wrench with new sharp jaws. Ken said it's almost impossible to break one of those studs (he's only seen it once), so crank away. The short 5" stud came out without a whimper. The 9" guy I could feel twisting, but went for it. Pop..pop..pop..it moved...then spun right out.

I'm a happy camper...thank you Ken. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif