PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A 3 Seat TR3?

AngliaGT
12-13-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm going to look at a small mouth TR3 tomorrow.
The owner said something about a 3rd seat in the back.
Anyone know about these.
He's asking $5000 for it.Is that a reasonable price
for a daily driver + type car?

- Doug

Lou Metelko
12-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Finally get to address a pet peeve of mine! All TR3s were small mouth!!! The equally silly name, TR3 "wide mouth", is the TR3A. Please don't make me repeat this!!!!!!!!!

Any side scren car that runs is worth the $5000 - Best grab it before the seller realizes that.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

prb51
12-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Remember that the easiest thing to repair on these cars is the mechanical elements.
Look for a solid body but the price is very reasonable unless it's a total bondo queen, even then it's on the low side from what I've seen lately.
I thought the TR3a was an unofficial name, not a factory moniker during production but adopted to diff between the small mouth 3's and later production/sheet metal mods by those in the US (unofficially).

AweMan
12-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Smallmouth has to be a 57 or earlier, Unless it is a later car that has been adulterated with the wrong front apron. There was/is a rear seat available for the Tr-3, However having said that it is barely big enough for a real small child. $5000.00 would not be out of line especialy if the body is correct {the TS # matchs the body panels} all of the correct pieces are present and accounted for and free of the usual rust through areas. I would gladly give the $ for it. If there has been repairs made due to rust I would want to inspect the repairs closely to ensure that they were done properly and not just poprivits and tin!
Consider that four good fenders, front apron, hood and boot lid would cost $5000.000 plus to buy new {if you could buy O.E.M parts!}.
IF you want a TR-3 and it is a solid car I say go for it!

martx-5
12-13-2007, 10:12 PM
I thought the TR3a was an unofficial name, not a factory moniker during production but adopted to diff between the small mouth 3's and later production/sheet metal mods by those in the US (unofficially).

This is true!! The factory never called the wide mouth a TR3A. Look at the badge on your wide mouth front apron. It says TR3. They may have adopted it later on, but regardless, I find it perfectly acceptable to refer to a "wide mouth TR3" or a "small mouth TR3". I usually refer to all variations as TR3's.

This is different then the TR4. There the factory renamed the later version AND badged it as a TR4A.

Edit: BTW, if you can, post some pics of the car so we can see what your getting into!

tdskip
12-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Any side scren car that runs is worth the $5000 - Best grab it before the seller realizes that.

I'd have to second this unless it is really far gone...

mrv8q
12-13-2007, 11:48 PM
The owner said something about a 3rd seat in the back.
- Doug

FWIW, here's my original back seat, in my '59....
https://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p52/mrv8q/IMG_0379.jpg

TR3driver
12-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Finally get to address a pet peeve of mine! All TR3s were small mouth!!! Darn ! You'd think someone like Standard-Triumph would get that right ! Too bad they didn't have Lou to proof-read their advertising copy !

AngliaGT
12-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks everyone!I looked in the Triumph buyer's guide that I have,& found some of the answers.
Now,can I stand to part with the 6 if the 3's a good
buy?Just when I thought it couldn't get more confusing...
Anybody looking for a decent 74-1/2 TR6?

- Doug

Twosheds
12-14-2007, 09:35 AM
There was/is a rear seat available for the Tr-3, However having said that it is barely big enough for a real small child.

As they say, the occasional seats are for those who have occasional legs.

Moseso
12-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Finally get to address a pet peeve of mine! All TR3s were small mouth!!! Darn ! You'd think someone like Standard-Triumph would get that right ! Too bad they didn't have Lou to proof-read their advertising copy !

Very interesting! We've ALL got it wrong. According to those ads, Standard Motor Co. apparently called the cars "T.R.3" (note: crucial dots after T & R)

Does anyone know what "TR" really stands for? I've always thought, "Triumph Roadster."

Twosheds
12-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Finally get to address a pet peeve of mine! All TR3s were small mouth!!! The equally silly name, TR3 "wide mouth", is the TR3A. Please don't make me repeat this!!!!!!!!!

The commision plate on my Widemouth car says it's a TR3.

Was this done as part of an elaborate conspiracy plot?

TR3driver
12-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Very interesting! We've ALL got it wrong. According to those ads, Standard Motor Co. apparently called the cars "T.R.3" (note: crucial dots after T & R)Some places had the dots, others did not. Sometimes in the same document (eg Practical Hints).

I have a funny feeling it was more due to proof-reader problems or similar than any actual desire to indicate it was an acronym. You sometimes see the same thing in MG ads from the same period.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Does anyone know what "TR" really stands for? I've always thought, "Triumph Roadster." [/QUOTE]Seems as good a guess as any, but I don't know any more than that.

NickMorgan
12-14-2007, 02:18 PM
... but then again the TR3B had a wide mouth!!!

AngliaGT
12-14-2007, 03:44 PM
I just got back from looking at it.
Here's the ad: 1957 BRITISH ROADSTER
Triumph TR3,small mouth
3 seater,runs & looks good.
Current tags.$5000 (707)826-9173

Additional info from owner:

Newer (Japanese) starter,battery,tires.
top good,electronic ignition.
20K on engine rebuild (big bore - 2100 cc).

My observations......

Car is a great driver,has primer appearing
Black paint,some rust on bottom of car (not horrible,but not sure what's underneath).Tacky shag carpeting around interior.Trunk lid has major rust at rear top edge,a little under trunk lid on body.Front fenders are loose on the bottom.California Black plates.
Engine compartment is in reasonable condition,but not real clean (you wouldn't know that the engine was rebuilt by looking at it).
Almost all of the parts are there.

If anyone's interested,I took pictures (Still can't figure out how to post them - too big).When my Wife gets them downloaded,I can email them.

- Doug

gsalt57tr3
12-15-2007, 04:50 AM

I am assuming the T.R. stood for Triumph Roadster?

Hypothetically, since the TR4 is not a roadster in the classic sense, is that why you never see the TR abbreviated with the 4s thru 8s?

TR3driver
12-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Hypothetically, since the TR4 is not a roadster in the classic sense, is that why you never see the TR abbreviated with the 4s thru 8s? Actually, my TR4 owner's handbook has the dots in the text of the foreward.

Geo Hahn
12-15-2007, 10:36 AM
...since the TR4 is not a roadster in the classic sense...

I was under the impression that a roadster was an open car where the top was completely removed (like a TR4) vs one in which the top folds back within the car (a convertible).

OTOH, some may require side-curtains to call it a roadster.

Now maybe someone can explain what a 'Sports Type 20' means.

Mickey Richaud
12-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Now maybe someone can explain what a 'Sports Type 20' means.

Good question.

My guess is that it may have been a carryover from the old model designation based on HP. I think there was an older sports model, the 10/20, and wasn't the TR1 named 20TS?

I'll have to dig out Piggott's book and see if he addresses this.

prb51
12-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Maybe, "Sports type 2" liter class? Only under/almost/close enough for handgrenades 2 liter??

Bugeye58
12-15-2007, 10:59 AM
OTOH, some may require side-curtains to call it a roadster.

I've always used that definition, George. Roll up windows makes it a convertible in my book.
Now, if I could only remember <u>why</u> I use that definition........... I think it was information from long ago.
Jeff

prb51
12-15-2007, 11:58 AM
What did Jaguar call them "Drop head coupes", the roadsters were sidescreen cars but that's a pretty old def by todays standards.

toysrrus
12-16-2007, 02:24 AM
Moseso;

I may be wrong cause I really have`nt read up on it but I believe it means: "Triumph Register":

Where is this TR3 listed?

Russ

PS: Hey folks, Lets get back on the Orig. topic: "TR3 For Sale for $5K": Who cares what they called it; (3 or 3A): FYI; Jag Drop Hd Coupes had "Roll Up Windows"; Roadsters had side screens:

PPS: Moseso; Please email me pics of this TR3 (toysrus@ptd.net) Is this one on ebay right now?

Moseso
12-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Russ --
Doug (AngliaGT) is the one who started this thread and knows where the car is. He'll have to be the one to email you the pics, which he says he could do. Doug -- are you out there?

AngliaGT
12-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Russ,

The car's in Arcata,California - just North of
Eureka.
Call Chet @(707)826-9173 (owner)

- Doug

toysrrus
12-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Thanx Moseso & Doug;

Doug, What can you tell me about the car? Have you gone to see it? If yes; Whats your opinion? Have you bought her yet? You can PM me or email myself:

Regards, Russ