PDA

View Full Version : Paint Round Two!!

blkcorvair
10-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Well you will all be happy to know that a bit of elbow greese, some ingenuity and a whole lot of paitence has paid off. The re-paint of the re-paint was a success.

I masnage to heat the spray booth to 76 or so degrees and keep it. (a little sweaty at that)

went far a larger tip on the paint and this time I cleared the car. After reading tons of posts on single stage urethane (Mostly on Chevelle forums) I was able to correct my mistakes even as I applied the finish. The only kicker is as I was spraying the final 2 feet of the last coat of clear I kincked the airhose beneath my dolly and splut some droplets. They mostly leveled off, but now that I have some clear I can wet sand with some 1200 and polish, polisk, polish away! Now I have to redo all the fiberglass, But at least I can expect better results. Ill post soem pics later when the fumes clear a bit.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

blkcorvair
10-16-2007, 08:28 PM
some pics.

https://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/63midget/IMG_1949.jpg

https://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/63midget/IMG_1950.jpg

https://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/63midget/IMG_1951.jpg

aeronca65t
10-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Nice! Really Nice!

Now lets hope that no one marks up that nice paint job as they have occasionally done to me.
(~Click Here To See Me Getting A Love Tap From A Miata~) (https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/EMRA_05/sprite-miata-bash.jpg)

My car looked decent a few years ago....now it's a patchwork of brush paint and spray can paint covering the various minor war wounds. I'm hoping to clean it up and respray it next Spring.

blkcorvair
10-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Its funny how that Miata looks much like a giant Bully next to the Spridget. I plan to keep some extra paint on hand.

Hap Waldrop
10-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Question, I don't see where you made any provisions for the fuel cell in th trunk, almost everybody cut a hole in the trunk floor to lower the mounting position of the fule cell and lower the CG of it's weight, like this. What I normally do when building a race car is pretty much mount everything that's going onto the car, except maybe wiring and some plumbing before paint, that way I don't discover post paint, I need to cut something or add a weld-on bracket somewhere. I always tell people to build a race car you've got to build it twice, once before paint and again after paint, I can tell you from years of experience and doing this many times, it causes alot less headaches in the long run.

blkcorvair
10-20-2007, 08:01 AM
I actually have a plan for exactly that. One that should only disturb the paint under the car more so than the inside of the trunk. I really wanted to get that done before I painted last weekend but I ran out of time and I need to get this spray booth out of the garage.

But it is funny that you point that out, That was the one thing I was upset I didnt get to do yet.

Oh nope. I did forget to drill to 3/16" inspection holes. So taht't require some toch up as well.

blkcorvair
10-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Well I sprayed all the fenders hood radiator support today. Not as perfect as the tub. (Perhaps because the humidity is higher today. Probably should have let the flash times out to 30 minutes rather than 20. My first coat of clear shifted alot of the metalliac flakes on the fenders but all in all Ive got really good coverage this time around so thats the way it will stay. Very smooth and shiny nevertheless. I need to get this spray booth down.. Its been in my way much too long. So tommorow I shall tear it apart and perhaps start some assembly. For now I should cut some grass.... Maybe Ill get some pics up later.

Hap Waldrop
10-20-2007, 09:07 PM
You can pull off post paint, one way would be to drill holes in the trunk floor and use a skil saw to cut the hole, this work better post paint because you don't create any spry like you would with a cutting disc. There's also different way to make structure to hold your cell in place, I made one time on a car that already had been paint with aluminum sheet metal, about .100" thick with 90 degree brakes in it, it turned out to be really strong, so they are plenty of ways you can do this post paint with positive results. If you ever want to pick my mind, just give me a shout, and we can brainstorm together.

blkcorvair
10-21-2007, 09:18 AM
I have a thought that I think will work well. I will let you know how it turns out. Skil saw may be an option too. Hadnt thought of that.

tony barnhill
10-21-2007, 01:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I always tell people to build a race car you've got to build it twice, once before paint and again after paint, I can tell you from years of experience and doing this many times, it causes alot less headaches in the long run. [/QUOTE]
Man, am I having that headache right now - luckily, I don't have anything except the price of materials in my paint job right now...as I get rady to disassemble & paint a second time!