PDA

View Full Version : another ST class rollcage question

blkcorvair
10-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Okay so Finally the tub is off to the rollcage shop tues. Thank God! Ive gotta get some paint on this thing so I can start putting it back together, Its Torture! I cant wait til it resembles a car again.

Any ways.

After reading the cage requirements for both EMRA and SCCA I have two questions.

1) Is (1) bisecting door bar required per side or two per side? Not really into cutting apart the doors for Nascar bars.

2) Is the horizontal bar connecting the front down tubes required. (this bar baffles me) Id like to add it either way, but below the steering column will kill my knees, and above will destroy my space for a dash. Unless I angle the front down tubes in front of the frame rails and run a horizontal bar under the column closer to the pedals. Then it will clear my knees. That seems like it'd be more feasible to keep anything from the from joining me in the cockpit... but attaching it to the frame rails/ rocker rather than floor/ rocker would stifen the car better I presume.

Man, I wonder what those whom dont ponder about cars each minute of the day think about....

Bugeye58
10-04-2007, 07:07 PM
2007 GCR, 9.4.6.E.1 (Page 104)
Side Protection-Open and Closed Automobiles
The <span style="color: #FF0000">minimum</span> side protection shall consist of a horizontal side tube connecting the front and rear hoops across <span style="color: #FF0000">both</span> the door openings. Additionally, there <span style="color: #FF0000">shall</span> also be <span style="color: #FF0000">either</span> a diagonal tube from the front hoop to the rear hoop bisecting the door opening below the horizontal side tube, or <span style="color: #FF0000">not less </span>than two (2) horizontal side tubes. Additional tubing may be added. NASCAR-style door bars are recommended.
(Highlights added are mine)

You don't mention which style of cage you are planning on, but either way, the horizontal connection is required between the two front down tubes. I run mine tight up against the bottom of the cowl.
Jeff

JerryB
10-08-2007, 03:14 PM
So as you see there is a litle latitude in placement...maybe only inches but that might make a case for better sitting comfort which comes right behind safety.

You want to get the seat you are going to use mounted in the postion it will be at, the steering column in and you sitting in the car then arrange the side bars and all the other placements such as the height of the main hoop etc.

Being 5'8" 150 pounds is not such a big deal as a person 5'11" and 185. The seat might be moved all the way rearward and the back at about 25 degrees and over to the floor tunnel as far as possible so as to have room for side tubes. A seat that fits you tight (narowest possible) will get you a bit more room also.

Using pvc water pipe and mocking up might help your builder if he is not very very bar conversant.

blkcorvair
10-08-2007, 06:45 PM
looking at the emra requirements it seems I do only need one side door bar and the front hrizontal bar between the front down tubes is optional. I plan for a horizontal bar behind the seat and an angle brace from the main hoop to the rear down tube.

Much like this cage:
https://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/63midget/DSC_2840.jpg

Only instead of the rear diagonal brace top the floor I was debating on sending it to the passenger rear down tube. Just thought this would allow more room in the car. Although, Im Fairly certain this car will never have a passenger seat. And of course mine shall be welded. The guy that's doing my cage does some seriously crazy cages for NHRA Funny Cars and Door slammers. They are usually way more complicated than this, so If I tell em what I want, He'll Make it, Just would like to never have to add anything to it.

aeronca65t
10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Yep...that one above would work.
To be honest, I'd put the left side door bar fairly high (like almost to the top of the door). In a track car, I see no need to keep the driver's door useable, but it's up to you. Most of us just hop in throught the top.
Since this is an ST car (sort of like "IT" in SCCA), you'll need to keep the windshield, so try to get the front downtube bars close to the winshield frame.

blkcorvair
10-08-2007, 08:52 PM
to keep as much room as possible with my seat combo and trying to use straight door bars it should land near the center of the door. Low enough that I may be able to squeeze through. Than again I am currently on the downhill side of my last diet. (Not exactly getting skinnier any time soon.)

aeronca65t
10-09-2007, 06:12 AM
Than again I am currently on the downhill side of my last diet. (Not exactly getting skinnier any time soon.)

Oh yeah...I understand that. I was about 230# when I built this car. I'm 185# now and I'm a much better fit. But I work at the weight thing every day....for me it's almost like smoking or a drug or something.
And Jerry is correct....build the car so it fits <u>you</u>. In terms of bar height, side bars and so forth. The side bar half way up the door will be fine.

blkcorvair
10-09-2007, 01:49 PM
LOL. Yes it has been dropped off today, I cant wait to see how this thing turns out. Right away his visions were better than my expectations so I had to tame him down a bit. This is the first cage of this style he is doing. Generally his cars are 6 & 7 second 1/4 mi. track cars. Neverthe less, he does some nice work so were both excited. I should have some pics to post at the end of the week.

tony barnhill
10-09-2007, 08:49 PM
https://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/63midget/DSC_2840.jpg
In addition to the cage above, I'm adding another cross bar right below the dash area...& I'm putting one door bar down low at the sill level & another higher & on an angle (both NASCAR styles)...& I'm putting a "Paddy bar" from the main hoop to the right of me down to the passenger side front down pipe

blkcorvair
10-10-2007, 01:18 PM
well it seems without too much effort My guy has talked me into X bars on the doors, a horizontal bar under the dash and two down tubes into the engine bay. Probably hammered my budget, but hey, safety first right!

tony barnhill
10-11-2007, 04:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]two down tubes into the engine bay[/QUOTE]
I'm told that's not acceptable in some historic circles?

blkcorvair
10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Running wider spridgetech fenders which are already out of the box for most vintage groups.

racingenglishcars
10-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Just ran across this (https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x288/frogeye61/Links/Tractor-crash.jpg). It's a good thing we have the strict rollcage rules. I would really hate to be that guy.

blkcorvair
10-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I really hope for his sake that tiny bar held that 10'000# monster over his head. It looks as if the ground is so soft it would have dug in like a tooth pick.