PDA

View Full Version : 13X6 Wheel Back Spacing

blkcorvair
09-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Hey guys, Ive been checking out some wheels for my 76. The rear arches are wide open. Got some winners circle/ Spridgetech Fenders on there so I got plnti-o outside clearance. Question is I can get 1,2,3,or 4" Back spacing. Anyone know whats best?

Bugeye58
09-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Lou, I've got some 13x6 Revolutions I was running. I'll measure them when I get home from work.
Jeff

aeronca65t
09-14-2007, 03:52 PM
As you guys probably know, the real problem is to have enough spacing from the leaf springs.

My car, with totally stock steel wheels and 185/60-13 DOT race tires (Toyo RA1s, Yoko A032s, or Kumho V700s)will lightly rub if I do not use an 1/8" wheel spacer. I'll admit that my tires do "bulge" a little bit...but not as bad as it sounds.

My stock wheels have 3.75" backspacing. You really can't go any more than that with any wheels unless you buy those "curvey" leaf springs (Jeff knows what I'm talking about). I'm not sure you can even buy those anymore.

On the other end, if you run 2" backspacing, you may fry your rear wheels bearings, even if you have the double-bearing jobs. And the extra offset of a 2" backspace might bend the stock rear axle housing (I bent one last year).

If I were to take a WAG, I'd say a backspace range of no less than 3" and no more than 3.75".

Jeff, Hap, Tim and some of the other guys may have more exact experience with the wider rims so I'll be interested to hear what they say.

Bugeye58
09-14-2007, 04:20 PM
The backspacing on the Revolutions measures 3". But, they're 13x7". The car they were on is a quarter elliptic car, with the zoomie curvy springs that Nial mentions. Didn't have any clearance problems running 20x8x13 slicks on them.
Jeff

blkcorvair
09-14-2007, 06:11 PM
sounds like 3" may be the way to go. Ive seen those springs, I belive WC still sells them. But I'd rather not go that route if I dont have to. Probably run Some Kuhmo V710 or V70A tires 215/50-13 DOTs. Which will likely give me some sidewall buldge as weel.

blkcorvair
09-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Actually they 3.5" is also an option.. Something to think about. Guess I should get under there and really take some measurements.

Hap Waldrop
09-18-2007, 06:52 AM
With 3.5" back spacing and Spridgetech glas on the car you will need to opt for the the longer 7/6 comp wheel studs, and about 1/2" of spacer. Here a Picture of a Midget with then rule required 5.5" wheel and wheel spacers and the Spridgetech fender, we built a few year back. You going to more than likely need some offset springs to accomodate those wide wheels as well.

I can sell you 13 x 6 Superlites with a 4" back spacing for the Midget.