PDA

View Full Version : SVRA US Zippo GP Sept 5-9

Monkeywrench
09-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Anyone going?

I'll be there

Twosheds
09-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Have a good time and tell us all about it when you return. Looks like I won't be going.

Monkeywrench
09-01-2007, 08:34 PM
That's a bummer John.

You can keep track via live timing and scoring...

https://svra.com/SVRA/SVRAHome.nsf/weblinks/EJEN-6VFQXN?OpenDocument

Check out the race schedule and then click on live timing and scoring when the session comes up.

MotorHead67
09-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Howdy Monk,
I've been going to this event this for about twenty years now but I'll have to miss it this year (long story).

Always a great place to rub shoulders with some of the all time greats in the automotive world. I met Zora Arkus-Duntov (RIP) there a bunch of years back. Tommy Kendal, Vick Edelbrock and family, Bobby Rahal...all nice guys and easy to talk with.

Years ago they used to race vintage bikes too.

Oh well, next year.

Have fun! Don't drink too much!

Mike

BBShriver
09-10-2007, 11:19 AM
I was there.
LOTS of rain. Still a great time though, and Seneca Lodge was all it was hyped up to be.
Met Burt Levy (www.lastopenroad.com) who seems to be a great all around guy.
Unfortunately didn't get to see much racing. Oh well, that's what next year is for!

Monkeywrench
09-10-2007, 05:21 PM
It sure was a wet one. Thurs-Fri was hot and humid. Saturday the skys opened up around noon and didn't let up until sometime after I left Sunday (it probally is still raining up there).

We did good qualifying on pole by a good margin and qualified 5th overall right behind some FAST cars in the next class up. Unfortuantly it decided to rain, so the driver didn't want to risk his car since we're not looking to hurt the car and backed off on a wet track Sat. and didn't run in the soaking wet track Sunday morning.

John,

Steve looked great out there. He finished 2nd in class on Sunday and dropped 11 seconds a lap between his 1st and last practice session. He ran out of dry sessions, which was a bummer because I know he would have gone even faster.

Twosheds
09-11-2007, 10:04 AM
It sure was a wet one. Thurs-Fri was hot and humid. Saturday the skys opened up around noon and didn't let up until sometime after I left Sunday (it probally is still raining up there).

We did good qualifying on pole by a good margin and qualified 5th overall right behind some FAST cars in the next class up. Unfortuantly it decided to rain, so the driver didn't want to risk his car since we're not looking to hurt the car and backed off on a wet track Sat. and didn't run in the soaking wet track Sunday morning.

John,

Steve looked great out there. He finished 2nd in class on Sunday and dropped 11 seconds a lap between his 1st and last practice session. He ran out of dry sessions, which was a bummer because I know he would have gone even faster.

Too bad about the rain. And that your driver decided to not drive in it, but of course he knows best.

Steve is a heckuva driver! And I guess he's learning to be a mechanic now since I talked him through R&Ring the head over the 'phone! Must have done O.K.

Monkeywrench
09-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Steve's car looked to be running great.

Dick has been around for a while and has "been there and done that". If he was running for points or a championship he would have gone out, but he plans to race a few more times this season so there was no point in putting the car in a position to be wrecked.

aeronca65t
09-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Steve's car looked to be running great.

What type of car?

(BTW: We had heavy rain on Saturday for a while during our 2 Hour enduro at Pocono, but everyone just kept slogging away....15 minutes before the end, we had to call it due to lightning, for the safety of the flaggers. Sunday was fine.)

Monkeywrench
09-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Nial,

It's a Triumph Spitfire.

I was up there with that TR4 that showed up to the EMRA SP event back in November.

aeronca65t
09-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Neat.
Yeah there's some nice Spitfires at some of the vintage events.
One fellow at the BeaveRun PVGP had an 1147 that honked passed my 1500 like I was in reverse.

I think I know the big TR you are talking about. In fact, I think it passed me about 1/2 way though ~THIS VIDEO~ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XzUKm8m4eM)

Twosheds
09-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Here is Steve and Spitfire at the Turkey Bowl last year. It was his first outing in the car and he did quite well. It's the small displacement (1147? sorry, I should know this) but it has dual Webers so it's a Group 3 car in SVRA. Nicely put together.

AngliaGT
09-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I talked to Ross Bremer last night.He has some cool
English Ford vintage racecars.
He told me that he was on the way home from the Glen,
&was in NC.I was hoping to see the cars tommorrow,but we're
heading to St.Augustine in the morning.Bummer!

- Doug