View Full Version : Flanging tool for lap welds

01-27-2004, 06:52 PM
I want to form a flange for doing stronger (?) lap welds rather than butt welding new steel into my mini. This will give me the option of doing seam welds, stitich welds, plug welds or a combination thereof, depending on the structual integrity required.

I bought a 2nd hand air powered one, which didn't work and can't find anyone local to fix it.

Anyone used and can recommend one? Practical Classics mag did a review of hand crank versions, but hands-on advice would be appreciated.



01-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Simon, here in the States, Eastwood sells them that are based on Vise Grip pliers. There are two stepped blocks welded to a pair of 10" Vise Grip pliers, that when squeezed form a flange about 1/2" from the edge of the panel. They come in widths from 1/2" to 1 1/2". That's all I've used for years, and have had very good luck with them. It can get a little tedious when doing long runs, but it makes a great joint when finished.
I found the hand cranked roller types hard to control. It seemed the panel always wanted to wander away from the stop, so the flange looked like a snake.
Perhaps an auto body shop, or local panel beater can steer you towards something available "Down Under".

[ 01-27-2004: Message edited by: Bugeye58 ]</p>

01-27-2004, 07:21 PM
you wouldnt happen to have a photo of those would ya?


01-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Ah, great stuff: super quick advice and enough info for me to find out what I needed. Thanks a bunch!

Eastwood page of flange tool (https://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=31092&Dep_Key1=)

01-27-2004, 08:06 PM
thats it!... wow.

01-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Great tool . I 've had one it seems forever.Great for making patch panels.A couple of rivets to hold in place and then simple to weld it in.