PDA

View Full Version : Found a great buy on a blast cabinet.

Mark Beiser
12-22-2003, 03:26 AM
https://www .northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=200103074&categoryId=210533 (https://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=200103074&categoryId=210533)

It probably wouldn't hold up all that well for heavy use, but looks like more than enough for the average home use.

[ 12-28-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

Basil
12-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Moving to "tools"

Basil
12-28-2003, 03:14 PM
I recently bough a cheapie at Harbor Freight for $69. Its not very big, but still handles most of what I need. I use very fine glass bead media and that seems to do a great job. It will take off corrosion and leaves the surface nicely polished. Mine is just a bench-top unit, but thats all I have room for.

Basil

[ 12-29-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

Zer
12-29-2003, 12:59 PM
Basil Where did you buy yours from and what else did you have to buy to go with it?
Zer ( AKA Tomato man )

Basil
12-29-2003, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Zer:
Basil Where did you buy yours from and what else did you have to buy to go with it?
Zer ( AKA Tomato man )<hr></blockquote>

Well, as I mentioned in my post above, I bought it at Harbor Freight - I think they are a national franchise. As for other components, of course you need a good air compressor. Mine is a 25 gal, 6 HP upright model I bought from Home Depot for $300 and, frankly, it is just barely adequate. I really need to upgrade to a much bigger air compressor. One thing I learned about sand blasters is that even a small one like I have uses a tremendous amount of air. Thus, my compressor motor is always running and really I have to use it for 5 minutes, then wait 2 or 3 minutes for the compressor pressure to build back up. I also usually have to let it sit every so often to cool off. The bottom line, is if you get a blasting cabinet, be sure you have a healthy air compressor to go with it.

Basil

[ 12-29-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

tony barnhill
12-29-2003, 05:02 PM
I went by Harbor Freight today to pick up enough of their car skates for my 2 Magnettes (skates are on sale for $40 a pair)...they had a metal break on sale for $200 - don't really bend that much sheet metal but the price is definitely right!

John Loftus
12-31-2003, 10:20 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Basil:
I use very fine glass bead media and that seems to do a great job. It will take off corrosion and leaves the surface nicely polished.
[ 12-29-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]<hr></blockquote>

Bas,

I also picked up a Harbor Freight cabinet. I bought the $100 model (on sale) that has doors on both sides. I figured I might be able to do longer parts in it if I rig up an extension on one or both sides. Anyway, I tried it with the glass beads at first which does give a nice smooth finish. For taking off paint though, I switched over to 30 grit sand (from OSH) and it cuts much better. You are right about the compressor ... just need to give it time to recoup every few minutes.

Cheers,
John

Basil
12-31-2003, 10:32 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John Loftus:

&lt;snip&gt; For taking off paint though, I switched over to 30 grit sand (from OSH) and it cuts much better. You are right about the compressor ... just need to give it time to recoup every few minutes.

Cheers,
John<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I have had a couple of pieces that had paint on them and that did take a while to get clean with the glass beads. Maybe I need two blast cabinets, one with heaveier media and one with glass beads (I can hear my wife now graemlins/hammer.gif )

Basil

Mark Beiser
01-01-2004, 05:37 AM
Looking around on NortherTool's site some more, I found me a compressor that will give plenty of oomph for blasting and running a HVLP spray gun. 15.9 CFM@90psi

I took advantage of the "easy pay" option. Items over $250, they charge your credit card in 6 monthly instalments. Item ships with the first payment. Only way I was gona be able to get a $900 compressor. Requires a 30 amp 230volt electric supply. Good thing I'm also a qualified electrician. images/icons/wink.gif

https://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=290946&categoryId=90143

By the way, something I have discovered about purchasing a stationary compressor. Whatever the compressor costs, figure on an additional $400 or so for accessories needed, not counting air tool costs.

For running air tools, you need a moisture trap, regulator and oiler, purchasable in a kit.

For running a paint gun, you need moisture separator. I'm told by several people that the moisture trap that comes in the compressor accessory kits is not suitable...

I plan on having the moisture trap and regulator off the tank outlet run into a manifold that has 5 outlets. One outlet with an oiler for running air tool, one dedicated for my blast cabinet, one with no oiler for airing up tires and a blow gun, one with a moisture separator for running a HVLP paint gun and one spare.

May be a bit of overkill, but hey, if I'm gona do something.....

John Loftus
01-01-2004, 05:19 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mark Beiser:
For running a paint gun, you need moisture separator. I'm told by several people that the moisture trap that comes in the compressor accessory kits is not suitable...<hr></blockquote>

You should add a small disposable air filter (about the same size/construction as the plastic in-line fuel filters) at the inlet of the spray gun. This will stop the moisture that can accumulate in the last run of air hose.

BTW, nice compressor ... wish I had the room and extra $$. I have my horizontal format compressor in a accoustic foam lined box under my workbench. You can still carry on a conversation with the box closed. Forgetaboutit if the box is open!

Cheers,
John