PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hoists

SilentUnicorn
10-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Hi all,
Thinking of buying one of those foldable hoists similar to harbor frieght. But in looking around i see a very large price difference from 100-700 dollars. Whats up with that? being on a budget and needing to pull two motors and sink one this winter.....Just wondering if any had thoughts or advice on this. Here is the one i am looking at. shipping casts almost as much as the crane.

https://www.maxtool.com/cgi-bin/dbsear ch.exe?mdb=\tools.mdb,tbl=IC_ITEMS,template=/comp_master-4.htm,DBCOMP=ABS,ReturnMax=1,DB_ITEM=ME3085 (https://www.maxtool.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch.exe?mdb=\tools.mdb,tbl=IC_ITEMS,template=/comp_master-4.htm,DBCOMP=ABS,ReturnMax=1,DB_ITEM=ME3085)

Mark

[ 10-23-2003: Message edited by: SilentUnicorn ]</p>

10-23-2003, 08:43 PM
i've got one just like that one, from a different source, and it works great. the fold up feature is great too images/icons/wink.gif and be sure to check the local farm stores too, that's where I found mine

[ 10-23-2003: Message edited by: Chuck Cougill ]</p>

KLUTZ
10-23-2003, 09:25 PM
I am going to rent one of those to pull my engine. Costs $28.00 for 24 hours here, but I am looking to buy an engine stand so I can rebuild it throughout the winter. What kind is the best and strongest for my 2 Litre from my TR7? I have seen these from $75.00 to around $250.00 up here. Also, how do you attatch them to the rack?
Thanks
Paul

SilentUnicorn
10-23-2003, 09:31 PM
i would say a 2 ton hoist is more than enough for most motors.
Engine stands are a good thing . i bought a 750# stand and had no problems with my 1500. attaching the motor is no big deal, might take a little creativity with the spider like thing that comes with them, and the purchase of some longer bolts to fit.

mark

tony barnhill
10-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Got my fold-up engine hoist from Advance Auto - less than $100; 1 engine stand there also - $40; another from Harbor Freight - $40-$50....look around before you buy

Mark Jones
10-24-2003, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KLUTZ:
I am going to rent one of those to pull my engine. Costs $28.00 for 24 hours here, but I am looking to buy an engine stand so I can rebuild it throughout the winter. I have seen these from $75.00 to around $250.00 up here. Also, how do you attatch them to the rack?
Thanks
Paul<hr></blockquote>

Paul,

Cheeck out Princess Auto: www.princessauto.com. (https://www.princessauto.com.) They have a 4-wheel engine stand for $69. Their engine stands and hoists are always coming on sale. I used the $69 engine stand last winter while rebuilding the engine in my Spitfire. Just go buy 4 long bolts and mount using the transmission plate or directly to the back of the block. A friend has their folding hoist and it is excellent.

[ 10-24-2003: Message edited by: Mark Jones ]</p>

Paul W.
10-24-2003, 10:22 AM
I bought this electric hoist from harbor freight: Click her for hoist (https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44006) It works great. Lucky for me, I have a large beam in the middle of the garage that I mounted it to. It won't work for everybody, but if you have a strong spot to mount it, it's cheaper than a cherry picker and much easier to use.

tony barnhill
10-24-2003, 10:06 PM
Have one that's never been out of the box if anybody needs one.

KLUTZ
10-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Thanks, Mark. I actually downloaded their complete catalogue yesterday morning. I had one from 1999 at work. Their prices have not changed very much in 4 years. There is one in Barrie, and one in Toronto. Will be going to one this week. So.... Do all recommend the 2000lb one or is smaller acceptable?
Thanks
Paul

10-25-2003, 07:17 PM
always buy the biggest you can afford. you never know what you'll be using it for images/icons/grin.gif

Super 7
12-10-2003, 12:56 AM
I paid nearly twice that for a non folding, and had to pay extra for the balance bar, at Harbor Freight.

I've only hsed it 4 times in 5 years, so it would have been much cheaper to rent. My local tool rental is open 7 to 5, 6 days a week, so at least this way I can use it when I want it.

They sure look cheaper now, but those few uses almost even out the cost!

JamesWilson
12-29-2003, 11:47 PM
The advice to get the "biggest" is good advice.

Note that these have extending booms- I've one that I thought was more than adequate for my needs, but found that its maximum lift weight was only valid for the shortest setting on the boom.

When extended to the useable length I needed it was then just adequate to lift the weight I needed to handle.

The key is to find out what weight the hoist can lift at maximum extension, which can be significantly less than when its boom is shortened and is what gets used as the "advertized" figure.