View Full Version : Hub Puller - what is it used for?

02-03-2003, 11:35 AM
There is an ad in my local bargin finder for a Triumph Spitfire hub puller for $25Cdn (~ $15oUS). What are these used for?

02-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Used for pulling the rear brake drums without the use of the big hammer. Very useful tool, seems like a bargain.

02-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Im not so sure. There is a big difference between a hub puller and a brake drum puller. Hub pullers are used to pull the rear bearing hub assembly off the rear axle. Brake drum "pullers" are usually not pullers, but more looseners. I have seen massive cast iron 12" brake drum type pullers, but I have a cheap "loosener." Hub bearing pullers are around 5 tons ( capacity not weight), i have a 2/3 jaw craftsman that worked on the bugeyes replacement bearings. -Josh

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: jha2297255 ]</p>

02-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Hello 78Z,

If it is anything like the one I have for my Triumph 2000 rear hubs. (Similar hub set-up I'd guess with the hub on a taper to the main shaft.)
It has a flat face that clamps to the hub using the wheel studs. If you use a two\three arm type puller it tends to distort the hub flange, as the taper is very tight and takes a lot of pull to split hub from shaft.
Certainly seems a good price. Use it once and it's paid for itself.

Alec graemlins/cheers.gif

02-03-2003, 05:07 PM
I agree, a car specific puller would be better than a 2/3. I paid $50 for the craftsman. Sounds like a deal.-Josh

PS if you buy it, always generously oil the tension screw while using it.

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: jha2297255 ]</p>

02-06-2003, 11:36 AM
ok thanks. I am going to see if its still for sale. I am sure buying will guarntee I never need.