PDA

View Full Version : Nuts and studs

Ken G
01-31-2003, 01:38 PM
I had a 1/2 inch diameter stud (BSW one end, BSF the other) on which the BSF nut had been screwed down to the end of the thread, so when I tried to remove it, the stud came out of the aluminium clutch housing. I could not grip the stud tightly enough to persuade the nut to undo, liquid wrench made no difference, and I didn't have two BSW nuts to form a lock-nut. (I have no replacement stud, so I didn't want to damage the threads).

As the suggestion of a friend, I took a disposable nut (actually 1/2 inch UNC), sawed it in half across the diameter between two points so I had two U-shaped pieces with flats, and used those as jaw adapters in my vice to grip the unthreaded part of the stud. It was so simple and worked so well that I wanted to pass on the tip.

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (San Francisco)

Basil
01-31-2003, 11:20 PM
Oh thank goodness! this is about hardware! From the title I thought...oh never mind graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks for the tip! images/icons/tongue.gif

Dale
02-01-2003, 11:07 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Basil:
Oh thank goodness! this is about hardware! From the title I thought...oh never mind graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks for the tip! images/icons/tongue.gif <hr></blockquote>

You should blush Bas, where is your mind. Great tip though and would probably work on a stud threaded all the way too. Lord knows I wouldn't have any trouble coming up with a disposable nut as that pretty well describes all of the ones I've got laying around.
images/icons/smile.gif

piman
02-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Hello ken,

Good tip, another way is to use soft jaws in your vice. I make mine out of 16 gauge (or thicker) aluminium shaped to go round the jaws. They do not mark components but of course will not work on fragile components.
Excuse me if you have already thought of this, but your original problem is due to the nut bottoming on the stud so perhaps it was not screwed in far enough into the casting last time it was assembled, or the stud is too long and\or a washer(s) was not used. The other possibility is that the stud should be in a position where a bracket is also fitted.
Something to look at when you re-assemble.

Good luck,
Alec graemlins/cheers.gif