PDA

View Full Version : Need a Pickle Fork to remove MGBs Tie Rod Ends

Bret
01-15-2003, 05:42 PM
Hey folks,

I need to replace both of my steering rack rubber boots that have ripped. Problem is I have the boots and the new Tie Rod ends, but I can’t find the correct size pickle fork or tool to remove/disconnect my MGBs Tie Rod Ends.

Any suggestions on a source?

Thanks in advance,
Bret
graemlins/cheers.gif

66 fhc
01-15-2003, 08:15 PM
Hi Bret
I've got one you are welcome to borrow. I don't know if it's the right size or not.

piman
01-16-2003, 07:32 AM
Hello Bret,
it's up to you if you use this method that I learnt many years ago while working in a garage.
I would add that I don't as I have the correct tools but it could be a last resort method.
Take two large hammers and hit very hard, either side of the steering arm where the track rod end passes through. This breaks the grip of the taper. It's is not easy to do but does work.
Alec graemlins/hammer.gif graemlins/hammer.gif

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: piman ]</p>

Duane
01-16-2003, 09:28 PM
I've used the two hammer method many times. Some smaller ball joints and tie rod ends can only get done this way due to clearance issues. Unless you have the special tool of course. On Hondas, you needed a small two part deal that was great if you worked at a dealership (which I did) , but I wound up using the 2 hammer method most of the time anyway.
Try Harbor Freight too. that's an item where so - so quality doesn't hurt all that much.
Duane

youngsmith
01-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Two hammers do work! they aren't the "recomended" method, but it is my prefered method, but thats probably because of my vocation (blacksmith)

Tony

aerog
01-17-2003, 06:48 PM
Where are you that you blacksmith? Ocala or something?

Cheers -- Scott

youngsmith
01-17-2003, 07:14 PM
Tallahassee actually. I've been to the barberville shop near there a bunch of times though. Last year I made the trip in the spitfire, stayed with a friend in daytona.

Tony

youngsmith
01-17-2003, 07:16 PM
Oh, and my friend graduated from D.B.C.C. with a degree in photography.

Tony

[ 01-17-2003: Message edited by: youngsmith ]</p>

aerog
01-18-2003, 03:17 AM
I did some work for FDOT in Tallahassee and spent a few days there, but that was the only time. Nice ride from here to there along all the backroads though!

thegoodbeamer
01-20-2003, 04:06 AM
Up here in the great white north they call those hammers a drift hammer.Alaways works for me. Bought a pickle fork and still have never used it.
Some think Minnesota is way up north.Fantastic winter here this year and decent temperatures. Winter here sees lots of salt on the roads so we don't drive our claasics. Must admit, drove the beam once in -50F as it was the only car that would start that morning. images/icons/cool.gif looks good for skiing tomorrow and I only have to go 6 miles.We get great skiing and great summers. Must admit we do have some mosquitoes that can bite but we have lots and lots of spray or musk oil.

stever
02-14-2003, 06:24 PM
Chuck, I lived five years in Duluth. Lovely area - especially in the summer - for driving. I left just as the "C02" devices to fight mosquitoes were being marketed. Was wondering if they work as the mosquitoes were definitely a big hassle!

thegoodbeamer
02-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Steve.
Mosquitos are a problem around here.Mind you with the dry spring last year we managed to do with out them till the rains came in late June.You do need repellant to work in the yard especially in the evening.If you go camping you need to take extra weight in your pockets.[Not really].There are some good machines that are propane powered but at $1500 bucks I will keep the spray.Avon has a good skin lotion that works great and is real good for children.
Any way when you drive fast the mosquitos can't catch you.
also they don't bother us when we are skiing. graemlins/canpatriot.gif

aerog
02-24-2003, 01:06 AM
FWIW JC Whitney sells a lever-action tie rod end tool that is nearly identical to the tool specified in the original MG shop manual. I'd have to double check the measurements, but it looked like it would fit the MGB very well.

Eastwood also sells a kit of tie-rod removal tools for just over $100 that includes a couple of similar tools, plus several gear puller style removers.

sailing_glayva
05-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Rather than removing the tie rod ends I just took a pair of vice grips and turned the tie rods out of the ties rod ends . This took only a few minutes and saved me the time of locating such a tool.

Brian
75B

Gary Pope
05-19-2003, 05:37 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sailing_glayva:
Rather than removing the tie rod ends I just took a pair of vice grips and turned the tie rods out of the ties rod ends . This took only a few minutes and saved me the time of locating such a tool.

Brian
75B<hr></blockquote>

Hmm interesting approach .. well done.

aerog
05-19-2003, 09:38 PM
I never followed up on my other post: One of the tools JC Whitney sells (probably available elsewhere) works absolutely perfectly, and effortlessly. The part number is 88ZX1770B, runs about $10. On the JCW website https://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=65281&BQ=jcw2 the balljoint remover is the one on the right side of the picture (NOT the lever-action version).

While the two hammer method (and others) work, this tool slips on and pops the tie rod out with a couple of twists of a wrench.