PDA

View Full Version : Shock Plate for '62 Austin Healey BT7

Hondo Hernandez
12-17-2002, 11:27 PM
I think John Loftus recommende I should come here for advice. Removed rt front shock and the welded nuts inside mounting box are broken off. Suggested solution is to saw, grind, cut old box off and weld replacement one on. Does anyone have advice on best way to do this. Can't move the Healey now - it's on blocks and in front of the boat so can't go fishing - bad !!!!! Could I use a reciprocating saw to cut off the old, then grind to smooth surface then somehow weld, maybe mig welder, the replacement. See....I don't know what I'm doing. Appreciate any advice you provide. Thanks in advance.

tlthorne
12-18-2002, 12:47 AM
Hondo,
i would suggest you do lots of practice welding
before attempting to weld the shock plate. your
idea of a sawzall cutting the old off is good,
the weld will be hard as heck, but just above
it will the annealled(soft) spot. then grind
flush, the hard part will be locating the new
part exactly where the old one is(otherwise its off and so is the front suspension)a template
would be a good idea. i have the same job to do,
but knee surgery this spring has slowed me down.
fortunately i have another car in pcs to make a template from, with the fender(wings) on it would
be a tough job. I believe that a arc welder was used in the 60's, restoring a MGTD i chiseled the
slag off the welds, it had been painted over the flux. It will take at least 250 amp mig welder to
weld that plate and get good penetration, those
small 100 amp work nice for sheet metal but not
frame work. remember if it comes off you will make a right turn! Good luck! keep us posted !

tt
clueless near st.louis

John Loftus
12-18-2002, 12:55 AM
Hi Hondo,

Yes I recommended this forum because you had some quesions about what type of welding to use. For shock tower surgery it is recommended to remove the engine and make a jig plate that spans the two shock towers and has the 8 bolt holes in precise alignment (use a mill to do the measuring and drilling). Then cut only one shock plate at a time and use the jig to make sure the new plate is in the proper position for welding . Then do the other side the same way. Of course, I've never done this ... just passing on some info that I have read. Hope it helps.

-John