PDA

View Full Version : Coil Spring Compressor

Jarhead
08-24-2002, 12:48 PM
I have been looking for a coil spring compressor that works on my "B". The one i found at the local tool store is much too large and does not seem to want to work. Any suggestions? graemlins/crazy.gif

aerog
08-24-2002, 01:45 PM
Eastwood has one, don't know if it'll work: https://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe

I've seen different ones that have three different "compressors" that clip on the outside and have to be tightened individually. Inconvenient, but I think they'll fit about any size spring.

spit6 guy
09-10-2002, 09:53 PM
HI im, kurt
are you planning to change springs offen if so
buy one but if you are you are like me it is much cheaper to rent one or take your coil units to a local shop to have them changed ( also it is safer to have a pro do it I haved some bad times with rented units) thnkk about it it is not worth losing a finger

Kurt

gene johnston
09-11-2002, 12:12 AM
Most articles I read indicate you can just use a floor jack. If you can get a copy of Feb-Mar 2001 MG World there is a full article on replacing the kingpin assy. I've seen these instructions in other places, just can't recall where. You just have to make sure that the car is on jackstands under the frame rails and the car is high enough that the lower A arm can swing down into a veritial plain to allow the spring to clear when a jack placed under the spring pan is lowered. I've done this on strut cars before and will be trying same on my B during next few weeks. No fingers lost todate. graemlins/crazy.gif

Scott Brunkhurst
09-11-2002, 09:31 AM
I don’t see the need for spring compressors. I’ve always jacked the car under the spring, loosened the shock bracket from the king pin and then jack the car off the first jack.
The pressure is slowly taken off the spring. I believe this method may be shown in the manual

SB

Scott Brunkhurst
09-11-2002, 09:35 AM
Also, I believe when you replace the spring there is a measurement that is to be met before tightening the shock bracket to the king in.

SB