PDA

View Full Version : intro "I am a Toolaholic"

tlthorne
08-08-2002, 12:18 AM
Well, i should have admitted this earlier(i did read you were suppose to intro yourself) i have many old english sports cars, MGs,AHs TR3s etc
and of course they all need work/restoration.
Thats the fun part! over the years i have bulit an
English wheel, have purchased many other sheet metal tools like a Pullmax. I have also collected
machine tools like a Bridgeport, 3 lathes and lots
of tooling to make more tooling for the Pullmax.
Coming soon! the forge and foundry section. I
would not have believed i could fill up a 100' X
40' shed with tools and need more space but i did. Thanks for your time! back to the shop i go!
tt graemlins/hammer.gif

billca
08-18-2002, 01:15 AM
If you're a toolaholc, perhaps you have one of the gadgets for balancing SU carbs on the Rover V8. The repair manual calls if a Gray-Horwood type air flow meter. I want on to use om my Plus 8 Morgan. (Not that I NEED it, but you know how it is with these tools!)

I don't recall ever even seeing on of these.

Bill C.

Steve
08-18-2002, 08:56 AM
I have seen that tool in the past, in the accessories catalogue of the MG Owners Club in the UK. I'll see if I can't dig up a copy!

tlthorne
08-18-2002, 08:42 PM
Guys,
i have the venturi type with floating ball in a tube, is there another type????? i even played with this one and then tried with a hose so maybe
if i had too i would know what it should sound like, but have long since forgotten. it helps having a Sun 1115 engine analyzer too!
Hmmmm a tools i may not have? oh no!

tt

tlthorne
08-18-2002, 09:13 PM
Bill,
i couldn't stand i had to look it up in a Rover TC2000 service manual, and that tool is a carb balancer, using a center zero gauge(magnahelic)
2 hoses feed each side of the gauge from boxes
that sub for the air cleaners. so if one carb is set a little higher it has a higher vacuum(in the box) and the needle swings to that side. it shows no inches of water column or mercury, so its not calibrated, just an indicator. i could take some pics(2) of the manual and email them to you.
my email is tlthorne@apci.net

if you have the venturi type it should work ok
good luck!

tt
wishing i had a morgan!

billca
08-19-2002, 12:37 AM
Toolaholics:

Thanks for the offer to send a picture of the Rover V8 SU balancing. However, I already have a picture in the Haynes Rover 3500 manual, which is what prompted my question.

Steve said he might locate one in an MG catalog; that would be interesting.

I do have two of the conventional airflow measuring devices, but it is a bit of a trick on the V8 to check both sides when you're working alone.

Now, a man with three Bridgeport lathes should be able to make the equivalent to this gadget!

I have another question about using oxygen sensors on these old cars. I'll make a new post for that.

Bill C.

tlthorne
08-21-2002, 08:35 PM
Bill,
a center "0" magnahelic gauge is 50$ in the Grainger catalog, if you have the venturi type
with ball in a tube, you could take the tube off
and add vacuum line to the meter. probably the
need some type of a simple clamp to hold it
to the carbs, those boxes probably bolted on.
i wonder how accurated it would be as if you move
a few inches one way or the other, you have a different view of the meter. probably you are getting fairly close with your gauge that only
your sparking plugs know its off!

take care!

tt

Steve
08-22-2002, 11:57 AM
I finally found the catalogue I was searching for but the tool isn't in there. I must have seen it somewhere else and then assumed that it must have been in that publication. Rats! Sorry.

billca
08-24-2002, 10:49 PM
Steve,
Thanks for looking. If you come across it later, I'll probably still be interested.

Bill C.

billca
08-24-2002, 10:53 PM
TT,
Thanks for suggesting a source for the gauge. I'll try it when I get ready to do the fine tuning, i.e. keep it running without constant attention.
Bill C.

Mikat
03-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks, I will check with Grainger

Mikat
03-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks to Dave Russell and this forum, I have found what I think is the correct replacement for the gauge on my Gray Horwood Synchronizer

kennypinkerton
03-17-2006, 07:21 PM
It's a good forum... not used as much as it should be.