PDA

View Full Version : Fire extinguishers

coldplugs
07-07-2002, 04:10 PM
I had a vivid reminder to check our fire extinguishers yesterday when, at a small car show / flea market run by a local village, about a gallon of cooking oil caught fire in a food vendor's booth. None of the vendors had an extinguisher. The show was next door to their fire department and one of the firemen came over after a few minutes with about a 10 lbs. extinguisher. It took about 5 minutes to get it out - every shot of the extinguisher seemed to spread it over a greater area. At one point a large fireball erupted and, sadly, the fireman ended up in the hospital.

When I got home I checked every extinguisher in the place (found 1 below the line). I've been involved in a couple of gas/grease/paint fires over the years (I'm very old) where we needed extinguishers and have one at every entrance to the garage, in the cars, etc but this was a nasty reminder that they aren't there as decorations.

You might want to check yours & give a thought as to how you'd deal with a garage or engine fire.

John C

aerog
07-07-2002, 07:56 PM
A couple of weeks ago someone in the area was working on a motorcycle just inside his garage (door open, half in, half out). At some point it leaked a little fuel, which somehow ignited and a small fire erupted. Unfortunately it started to spread and, eventually enveloped the entire house.
They had no extinguisher so it's hard to imagine what could have been avoided.

Strangely enough another similar fire started about 5 miles away in December, again no extinguisher.

Steve
07-10-2002, 12:58 AM
I can't agree more. Back in the UK, my wife was backing off the drive in our Austin Maxi, and as I was working in the front yard, I stood to watch her leave. Luckily, I noticed the flames, and ran to stop her, getting her and the baby out of the car. Next was the fire extinguisher, a big dry-powder unit, put the fire out in next to no time, before it reached the passenger compartment, not to mention the full gas tank!

I always keep fire extinguishers handy, either dry-powder or CO2. They will more than pay for themselves if I ever need them.

Hint #1: Never keep a "wet" extinguisher in the garage. Use those for wood or fabric only.

Hint #2: If you have an engine fire, DO NOT try to open the bonnet/hood. You will probably get hurt. Squirt the extinguisher through the grille, under the engine bay, or whever you can get it.

aeronca65t
07-10-2002, 05:57 PM
Also....

one of my friends works for a fire extinguisher company. Some years ago he mentioned to me that sometimes the valve or gauge can get stuck if the extinguisher is left sitting for long periods of time. His suggestion was to take the extinguisher and shake it every month or so...to prevent sticking of the gauge or valve.

I saw an example of this a few years ago at Lime Rock when a Sports Renault hit the embankement near the pit entrance. An engine fire erupted and the guy I was crewing for grabbed the extinguisher from his ITC Fiesta and ran up to the car...pulled the pin, squeezed and "nothing". The Fiesta had just passed tech and the gauge on the extinguisher was reading "Full". Fotunately others nearby put the fire out. Later , an examination of the extinguisher indicated it was "Full" but the valve was stuck.

Now I shake the extinguishers at home, in the car and even at work, on a regualar basis.

MGTF1250Dave
07-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Aloha,

Fire extinguishers are not only for your house and garage, I also have one in my car. A few years ago a friend of my had his prewar MG TA catch fire and if not for a passerby with a fire extinguisher, his car would have been destroyed. Althought it was badly damaged, it could be repaired. A $25 dollar fire extinguisher is a good investment when you consider the alternative.

MGTF1250Dave
07-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Aloha,

Fire extinguishers are not only for your house and garage, I also have one in my car. A few years ago a friend of my had his prewar MG TA catch fire and if not for a passerby with a fire extinguisher, his car would have been destroyed. Althought it was badly damaged, it could be repaired. A $25 dollar fire extinguisher is a good investment when you consider the alternative.